Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I am a rookie rebuilding my Mustang engine. So far, so good. I have a 67 Mustang inline 6. I am rebuilding the engine. Cam shaft, crankshaft, pistons and rings and oil pump are all installed to the lower block. The block is on an engine stand. I needed some guidance on the next steps in assembly.

I installed the gears and timing chain. See the pics of the old assembly before I removed and the new clean block.

My question, is there any orientation to the crankshaft and Camshaft, top dead center ?

there is a groove on the inside of the gear that lines up on each shaft. That is easy. I want to make sure on the alignment of the shafts to each other.

Second question,

Once I put on the chain, can I close up the bottom of the lower block ?

Once i put on the timing chain, I can then put on the timing chain cover and flywheel followed up the oil pan. I can then flip the motor over and install the lifters and the lower block is done. Correct ?

I have watched a bunch of video's, but if you know of any to watch, let me know

thanks

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Usually there is a mark of some sort on each sprocket of the timing chain. You line up the two marks adjacent to each other and that way you know the crank and camshaft are both at TDC. I'm thinking that round identation on the cam sprocket in your photo, near the 12 o'clock position of the photo is one of the marks. Look for a corresponding mark on the crank sprocket and have rotatate the two sprockets until the marks are adjacent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see the new picture I uploaded. I lined up the dot on the camshaft gear and the dot on crankshaft gear. I assume that means I have the chain on correctly.

Can anyone confirm this for me ??

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Kudos to you for actually rebuilding your own engine, and a six-cylinder to boot!. What service manual or rebuild book are you using to guide you along?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using the video's that I have found on the internet. I also have a great guy that did all my machine work on the head and block. He is a wealth of knowledge. It's amazing how much material there is out there.

Any idea if I have this timing belt on correctly ?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Minor terminology correction. You have a Timing Chain, not a Timing Belt.

You do appear to have them installed correctly. I edited your pic to point to the two reference marks (the small dots). You have them correctly aligned.

·
Administrator
19,667 Posts
I like to watch Youtube videos too. I find it interesting how many are done by such gross amateurs that their information is not only wrong, it's sometimes dangerous. Some of the DIY house renovations projects are amazingly bad. And there's no one to really fact check them unless someone knowledgeable bothers to try and comment. Yet people prefer such over actual written information put down by qualified people with references. (Books) Sure there are people on YouTube who are very good (even great) at what they are doing, but there is SO very much chaff and those just learning can't really tell the difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone for your feedback. I do have a shop manual and always forget to utilize it. I always go to the internet first. Something to remember.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts