Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the timing cover off for gasket replacement, and it occurs to me that this would be a good time to check the timing chain. Shortly thereafter, it occurs to me that I have no idea how tight it should be. Is this good, ok, bad, laughable?

·
Just some guy
20,217 Posts
You should check it how Woodchuck says but honestly it looks about right for a link belt style chain. I quit using them after I found new ones stretched out about as far as the ones I was replacing in about two thousand miles. I've used full roller timing sets ever since.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,299 Posts
Now is the time to replace it with a Cloyes Dual roller timing set.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
yup the "while i was in there" factor........dont do what i did.
I replaced the TC but left the WP because it looked good. then back in there next summer for a WP that I should have just did "while i was in there"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I continue to find ways to make easy things difficult. Two new issues.
1) This ring was behind the lower sprocket. When I put the Cloye's sprocket on there, it won't go in far enough. Is this just a spacer that I can safely remove?
2) When removing the lower sprocket due to the spacer ring, i managed to turn the crank, and so I'm now out of sync. How do I get myself lined up correctly?

Thanks,

TGV

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should there have been instructions with the timing chain set? There was nothing but two sprockets and a chain in the box.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's not a spacer ... it's an oil slinger.
And it's in the wrong place ... should be in front of the sprocket, not behind it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It's a lot easier to turn the crank if the plugs are out. You can put the pulley bolt back on and turn it with a wrench. Or you can put the pulley on loosely and turn it with your hands. It won't be hard to turn with the plugs out and the cam not connected.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts