Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had my engine rebuilt and had a double roller timing chain put in, I just went to put the timing cover on and it dosent fit any more. I notice that its hitting the fuel pump ecentric, during the rebuild I no a new cam was put in as well (crane bluprinted 4V), i dont think it would make a difference but i'm no guru. How do I correct this problem, anyone have this problem before?

TIA
SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Someone else just had this problem and they where sold the timing gears. It wasn't that long ago so try to do a search.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have to get a different timing chain set. The one that was on a 5.0 that I was working on that was set up for electric fuel pump. There was a bigger area of metal around the center therefor offsetting the fuel pump eccentric too far out to clear the cover. The solution was to replace it with a FMS roller chain. PN M-6268-a302 FMS roller timing chain set

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think its a 2 piece, but im not sure, how can you tell? I think it was stock. I guess Im going to have to call the machine shop that rebuilt it explain the delema. They were the ones that recommended the double setup. Thanks for all the advice..

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
I'LL BE DRIVING IT SOON, FINALLY.....

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I had that problem - it was my post someone referred to. The fix was a Cloyes 9-3135 True Roller timing set. It is a double row roller timing set. I do have the one-piece fuel pump eccentric. The difference in clearance was a BUNCH - I wound up with .080 or more of clearance, and that was before I installed the gasket. Background - 69 351 W block, Comp Cams needle bearing thrust plate and cam, new Ford Racing timing cover.

The difference was the cam gear itself. The one that didn't work was .250 thicker which pushed the eccentric out too far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts