Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I installed my distributor about 90 degrees out (different from the usual 180 degrees out). Where, on a 1970 302, is 0 degrees supposed to be showing on the balancer when number 1 is at TDC? Should 0 degrees be at 12 o clock position, when looking at the balancer at number one cyliner TDC? Should it be around 10 o clock (passenger side)? I had the timing pointer on the wrong side of the timing chain cover when I installed the distributor. I now have the timing pointer on the passenger side and the pointer indicates about 10 o clock, where it points to the balancer. Is this supposed to be 0 degress with #1 TDC? I am supposed to fire up the engine this week so any prompt help would be GREATLY appreciated. Boy, my book illustrations don't help me on this one.

Other than that, things are going well. Took me 6 hours to fill the radiator. First the lower hose (new from NPD) leaked at the radiator. Turns out the radiator outlet is 1.5 inches O.D. and the hose was 1.75 inches I.D. I turned the hose around, since the water pump outlet is 1.75 inches O.D., but still leaked - yeah, I should have measured, both ends of the house are 1.75 inches I.D. (is this right for the 70 non-ac small block radiator?) I put back the old cruddy hose so that leak went away. Then the thermostat housing leaked. Turned out the termostat slipped in the housing during installation so the lower edge of the thermostat was no longer in the recess in the housing, causing the housing to have a gap between it and the intake. Tried installing it again, this time using blue RTV sealant. Hope the thermostat did not slip cause it would be a bear to get the housing off and scrape off all the silicone. Haven't put any more fluid into the radiator, don't want the leaks to show up again when I need to be hooking up the dash wiring.

That's the progress, but boy, taking 6 hours to fill the radiator must be a new record. Makes it seem like I am mechanically challenged. Hey, what is this do-hickey tool with the handle that goes back and forth and the head of it clicks and has a post that those funny round cylinders fit onto? you know, the cylinders of different sizes? I've been using a cresent wrench on all the bolts.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Engine in my car is a 1968 302. timing pointer is on DRIVERs side. And 0 degree mark should be at about 2:00 position (when looking form the front of the car). I suspect you may have gotten your point of reference backwards. Anyhow, the vacuum advance for the distributor should also pointing straight ahead when lined up properly.

Good luck.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the vacuum cannister pointing straight ahead, so that part is ok. The pointer which I bought at NPD is a small thing, about 2.5 inches long and maybe 1/2 inch wide and the only place it fit to bolt up was on the driver's side. Thus, I installed the distributer in the 2 clock position, as per your 68. The pointer which I took off the car is completely different in shape, kind of triangular with a wide pointer. The only place it fit to bolt on is on the passenger side, at about 10 oclock. My Ford tech buddy recalled that the timing pointer switched sides on the 302, but doesn't remember which year that switch took place. OH boy. Now I am confused. Thanks for the input, I'll keep checking. Maybe someone with a 70 will show up here today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My Mustang has a 1973 302 engine. The timing indicator is on the passenger side at roughly 10 o'clock. It has a chamfered edge that the timings is set from. The balancer is marked @ 30 advanced to 10 retarded.

Layne

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, 0 degrees is Top Dead Center, but when viewing the balancer as a clock, you will see that 0 degrees on the balancer can be anywhere on the clock face as the balancer rotates. Thus, the question is where, on the clock face, does the 0 degrees show up when the crank is at TDC on #1 cylinder's firing stroke? The balancer mark has to be before or after "midnight" cause the midnight position on the clock is obscured by the water pump - couldn't see the timing mark to hit it with a timing light. Ford put the timing marks on the balancer to line up 0 degrees at either the driver's 2 o clock position or passenger's 10 o clock position, depending on the year of the car (small block). So, that is what we are trying to figure out. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate every comment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts