Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted earlier here (link to post) that I was trying to diagnose a timing problem. Basically I timed by ear my 66 200 I6 and got the smoothest idle @ about 18 degrees advanced. Set to factory setting (6 degrees) and it wont start.

I heard people say my dist. was off by a tooth, my harmonic balancer was shot and my timing chain was going.

Art gave me a few things to check, basically set the #1 piston to TDC (visial TDC), check the timing marks, should be pointing to 0. This is to check the Harmonic Balancer (I believe)

It is. It points to about 1-2degees.

He said to remove the dist. cap and view how much play I had in the crank before the rotor moved. 2+inches and it's shot.

At the timing marks it move from TDC marks to 12 degrees.. about an inch.

Lastly Art said if the dist has free movement in both directions of rotation then its indexed correctly.

It can rotate in both directions.

Any ideas on what else could be wrong? Or did I miss something?

Art, I don't have a ton of mechanical experience, did it seem from my paraphrases that I got the idea right?

Thanks!!

SprintCC

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Are you disconnecting the vacuum advance when you set timing? If not disconnect set timing then hook it back up and try to start the car. You should notice an improvement.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I would do a full tune up (points, condensor, plugs, cap, rotor, wires) and then see if it will start with the timing at 6 degrees initial...

How does it run on the road? If it'll get over 50 MPH, that rules out jumped timing... A worn motor without good compression will be hard to start, so will a bad accelerator pump....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>How does it run on the road?

Unfortunately it hasn't gotten that far for the last 8 years or so /forums/images/icons/frown.gif That's why I'm trying to get it running now. I gave it a tuneup with everything you mentioned and rebuilt the carb (twice) last fall. Maybe I missed something.

Think I'm going to go over this from the top down and check everything, acting like I've never seen the car before.

Thanks for the input, it's really apprieciated!!

SprintCC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts