Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the middle of trying to tune this car (66,289,2bbl Holley,Pertronix Dist/Ign, 5 speed) and running into issues.

I'm setting the timing according to the manual (6° past TDC) with the vacuum port on the carb plugged and the distributors vacuum port open. I get it to the 6° and snug the bolt down to lock the distributor in place. I reattach the vacuum hose from the carb to the distributor and at idle the balancer shoots to something wild like 30° past TDC.

Also the idle is no matter what 1000rpm. I cannot get it to 600-800 even with the idle speed screw almost completely out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Should be before top dead center as the spark timing always runs advanced of TDC. I've always been able to give these little engines a bit more than the recommended stock engine timing but that is a try a degree or 2 extra and see how it likes it sort of thing. That is probably why it won't idle too unless you did mean to say you have it set before TDC.

Engine turns clockwise so your timing pointer would be to the left of the 0 mark for before TDC and distributor counter clockwise so the rotor tip will be just past the #1 terminal at TDC(on the #1 cylinder).

This probably should be moved over to the vintage mustang forum. It will get a lot more attention there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be before top dead center as the spark timing always runs advanced of TDC. I've always been able to give these little engines a bit more than the recommended stock engine timing but that is a try a degree or 2 extra and see how it likes it sort of thing. That is probably why it won't idle too unless you did mean to say you have it set before TDC.
I appreciate the response, but I don't think I follow. Can you explain a little more?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually please disregard this post. I didn't realize I was posting in non-vintage. I posted this over at "Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum"
feel free to delete mods...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts