Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to adjust the timing on my 69 351w 4v. Its pretty much stock except for a duraspark electronic ignition. What should I be setting the initial timing at? My shop manual says 6 degrees. When I set it at this and shut the car off, it "runs on". I set it back to the inital setting (0) and it still runs on. I plugged the vacuum advance before doing any of this. The 6 degree setting is 6 degrees clockwise when lookin at the front of the engine. What am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Elaborate please....
Mark TDC on your balancer with some metal marker....

Put the timing light on the engine....start...

Where does the mark show up? To the right or left of the timing post on the cover?

No, I'm not going to tell you the right answer....*G*

Often, the reason for running-on (dieseling) is an idle speed which is too high...what rpm does your engine idle at? Will the engine not diesel if you shut it off in gear (if auto)...?

Your timing should be around 8-10 degrees BTDC....vacuum advance disconnected...

You may also have to test for whether your balancer outer ring has slipped...

Does the car ping under heavy load or throttle?

Details, Details..*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TDC shows up to the left of the post when looking at the front. And yes, it is idling high. To get it to stop running on, I have to put it in gear and let the clutch out slowly. What I can't figure out is why when I set it back to the initial setting it still does it. Car has never pinged. How do I check the balancer? #1 tdc........?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The high idle is what's causing the problem....

When you shut off the key, the engine takes a bit to spin down and draws in some more air and fuel...if it's hot enough or there is some hot chunkies on the valves or in the chamber, they'll ignite the fuel and you'll get a couple more rpms out of the engine...drawing in more fuel....etc...
Most newer cars have a solenoid that closes the throttle valves when you shut the key off....
Can you possibly lower the idle a bit?...you may have to adjust the mixture and timing...

I'll bet your balancer is OK but wanted to mention that possibility...
Set your timing to 8-10 initial with the vacuum advance off and take it out and hammer it to see if you get pinging...if not, leave it, lower the idle and set the timing again...

Let us know what you find...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try that tonight. I think I left it somewhere around 7 degrees last night. I tried to adjust the idle (don't know much about carbs) by turning the small stop screw on the linkage, this brought it down a little, but it's still around 1400 rpm. Is their a step by step procedure for adjusting the mixture? Holley 600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts