Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 4 weeks of rebuilding we finally fired the new roller 302 in the 66 today. It ran like crap. Little did i know that the timing pointer on 302's is on the other side so we had it 20 degrees out of whack when it was fired. Motor started fine and smoked a little (oil etc on the headers) also had a weird sour smell after running a bit.

My questions is how to you correctly time a late model 302 (1988) when the timing pointer is on the wrong side (driver's side). I have the pointer from the 302 timing cover but I can't find where to mount it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is the last step before I can drive the car! :):)

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
It should attach using the timing cover bolts on the RH side. The mark itself is precisely 45° from the centerline of the engine, whether it's on the right or left. Did you also use the 5.0 timing cover or the 289 timing cover?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You may already know this, so excuse me if you do.
STEP 1
1) Remove distributor and use cap to correctly locate rotor/shaft position to make #1 fire.
2) Lock distributor in this position by putting multiple pieces of duct tape from distributor body over rotor button.
3) Remove #1 spark plug
4) Get engine crankshaft positioned with #1 at top dead center ON COMPRESSION STROKE. (you can stck your finger in spark plug hole while helper turns engine to get very close to TDC)
5) Use a dial indicator or another method to position #1 piston at the VERY TOP of its' stroke.
6) Install your timing pointer somewhere, anywhere, near perimeter of harmonic balancer.
7) Wrap outside of harmonic balancer with a thin strip of paper that exactly meets ends (not too long or short)
8) Remove paper strip, measure its' length, and divide by 360.
9) This decimal number represents 1 degree in timing.
10) cut a piece of masking tape the EXACT same length as the paper strip.
11) Make 13 pen marks on the tape 0 thru 12, separated by the decimal distance of 1 degree, found in step 9. (ZERO on right and 1 thru 12 going toward left)
12) stick this piece of tape around the perimeter of the harmonic balancer, with ZERO at your timing pointer you installed and 1 thru 12 increasing counterclockwise.
12) Reinstall distributor so it seats fully in with the rotor still taped at #1. The vacuum advance should point in a direction that allows enough adjustment to get you to 12 degrees before top dead center. If it doesn't, remover the distributor and shift it ONE TOOTH on the gear.
13) Remove duct tape and install distributor cap.

YOU SHOULD NOW BE ABLE TO USE A TIMING LIGHT DIRECTED TOWARD THE MASKING TAPE MARKS ON THE PERIMETER OF THE HARMONIC BALANCER.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you install the pointer this way?

Next week I`ll probably have to solve the same problem, in case the markings do not match TDC I bought some timing tape from Mr Gasket. Will turn the crank until cylinder 1 is on TDC, so I can see if I need the timing tape or not.

Greetz from Germany

Dan

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Can you install the pointer this way?
When you start adding aftermarket (or incorrect OEM) parts, that were not engineered as a complete system FOR THAT ENGINE, all the rules go out the window.

My 13 steps above work even when a mis-matched, cobbled-together system is installed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I worked and worked on my timing last summer. Finally noticed that I had #7 and #8 spark plug wires crossed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The timing marks on my balancer are off, so I can only time it by vacuum. Works great though, and the car runs like a champ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So do I need to tape the balancer or can I mark "0" @ TDC then remark the existing degree marks differently?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The tape is JUST ONE WAY to do it. Any way you do it will work so long as your ZERO isat the correct spot and the distances between marks are right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The timing marks on my balancer are off, so I can only time it by vacuum. Works great though, and the car runs like a champ.
Great old school stuff. That's the way we did it when I was in high school (in the 1950's :lol:). After the initial vacuum adjustment, we would take it out and run it under some load and listen for "ping". If we heard some, we would stop on the side of the road and "fine tune" by backing it off just enough for the ping to go away. You know what I mean...high school brats that knew it all when it came to hot rodding, etc. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts