Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to star at by saying i think i have read every thread on this and other forums ( all of my posts and questions are here). I have learned more about timing a 289 with an autolite 2v, than i ever thought possible. And still dont know much. Have read tremendous advice from ivy and the other legends. Here’s where I’m at.

had a “rebuilt” carb purchased off eBay to get a number matching carb. Was running rich to say the least (topic of another thread i got a lot of help on). Car is very early dearborn 64 1/2 vert with a 289 ( another long story). newly rebuilt carb, everything stock, just put in new points (gapped at .017), condenser. Set initial timing at 6 degrees before top dead center. Definitely have tdc correct, not 180 out.....ride it up today with my timing light and tachometer. Adjusted both ideal and advance to the point where i could get the idle down to about 700-800 rpm with the advance at 6 degrees. Ideal screw on side of carb completely backed out. Prior, i could only get the engine to run at about 1400 rpm and the timing was at 6 degrees. I adjusted the idle screw along with the advance And was able get the idle down to about 700-800, not lower. This was all done with the vacuum hose removed from the vacuum advance and plugged tightly.

with all i have read, and i am pretty sure i have googled/ searched every post on just about every forum. I am stumped. I understand that idle should be at about 600 rpm. I cant get it that low. At 700-800 now, it sound smooth. Best i have had it. Trying to get it right at idle before hooking up the vacuum advance.

any advice for the novice/google/forum guy?

as always thank you all for your time and expertise....

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
This is not a crowd you need to worry about spelling ;o) Couple things I would check after Travis' suggestion, make sure your butterfly valve is well centered and closes well. If its truly running rich, a vacuum leak will make it idle higher. You can try plugging vacuum lines like to an automatic trans with a bolt to see if it makes a difference. You may end up going into the carb to insure it was rebuilt right and all the passages were cleaned out correctly.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
By the way, since you are working to get everything right, you need to purchase a dwell meter. Point gap is a starting point, dwell or the number of degrees the points are open is the right way to set points. You may end up buying an old used one as I doubt anyone makes them any more but its that last little dial-in. we all used to have 'em in our tool boxes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As you may have read from so many other posts, 6 degrees BTDC initial timing is very late with modern pump gas, and may be at the heart of your problem. 10-12* is a much more appropriate point for your setup. Also, the specs for idle RPM as given by Ford were for a car “in gear” and not in park, so don’t drive yourself crazy by setting idle too low and having it stall when you put it in drive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i am officially an idiot....The high idle was indeed engaged. Travis thank you. In kicking it down, it hums at a little Over 600 rpm, timing at 6 degrees before tdc. I will advance it a bit and see how it runs based on the input above. Can’t thank everyone enough. I will work with all of the advice here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts