Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time timing an engine, its my 289 and i moved the distributor accidentally while puttting a manifold in, what are the triucks to timing an engine, i have the light,thanks -Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hook your light to the #1 spark plug, which is the front plug on the driver's side. Then hook up to the battery. Mark TDC with a piece of chalk or white-out, then mark your timing mark (8 degrees BTDC?) with the same chalk or white-out. Also mark the timing pointer on the timing chain cover. Turn on the engine and look at the timing mark with your light. Turn the distributor slightly until the mark lines up with the timing pointer on the timing chain cover.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the rotor should be aimed at the #1 spark plug wire connection (naturally), and at TDC the points should just be starting to open.

that should get it ballpark.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
...#1 spark plug, which is the front plug on the driver's side...
Glen is talking "Chevy Speak". :: The #1 plug is the front plug on the passengers side for your car. A Chevy has #1 on the drivers side.

Also, don't forget to disconnect the vacuum advance line, and plug it so it doesn't cause the engine to run rough, prior to adjusting the timing. Piece of cake!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts