Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can remove brake caliper pistons with compressed air....IF YOU ARE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!

Luckily the granada caliper assy had a full charge of old brake fluid. If they are dry you need to fill the caliper reservoirs and let them soak for a few days. Then drain all the fluid from the caliper reservoir. Using a tapered rubber tip trigger style air nozzle with 120psi we sealed the tip into the threaded brake line hole, by pressing on the nozzle really hard, and pulled the trigger. We put a rag around the nozzle so fluid wouldn't shoot back at us. And we kept our fingers out of the way of the piston. BOOOOM!!!! The piston shot right out. We removed the old seals and took the caliper assy to the hot tank. Saved trying to figure out how to remove those pistons. If you do this, use extreme caution.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
When rebuilding the calipers on my daughter's '69 coupe (factory power disk brakes), the one piston wasn't sealing well, and popped right out with compressed air.

The second caliper, though, was in better shape. I had to really blast the air in there, and when she let go, the piston hit the "claw" of the caliper, ricocheted off that, flew all the way across the garage, hit my roll-away tool box about 3 feet off the ground, and ricocheted off that into the driveway and finally came to rest out near the street, barely missing my '66 that was parked in the driveway.

Use extreme caution when blowing out the pistons with compressed air!!! If my fingers had been in the way, I wouldn't have them anymore *LOL*.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The new pics of your car look fantastic. I was quite shocked the other day to see your new pic instead of the "painted door jambs" of the old pic. You've done a nice job and should be very proud! I love those wheels on there. You don't see magnums on many '65/'66's, but I think they look great on any year mustang. I've been leaning towards Magnums on my '69 Sportsroof (in leiu of the imitataion Cragar S/S's that are on it now). Your pics now have me convinced.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Great looking, none the less.....Fooled me ! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Dickson

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ok, I'm an idiot. Damn good looking model, though! *LOL*

Some of the pictures I have of my car at Autorama taken from a ledge up above make it look just like a model, although it's the real McCoy. I figured it was just the way the pic was, much like a few of mine are.

ROFLMAO!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should see the real car. Junky as ever, LOL. Nope, the model is a dream version of what I want the real car to be. I have a set of 14 x 6 aluminum slotted mags coming, (my favorite vintage era wheel). I really really really wish that model was the real thing and it was done./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I am looking forward to the real car sitting on all fours in about a month, instead of a hitch stand.

Here is the link to the model post, hehe.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=435414&Search=true&Forum=forum&Words=twotoots2&Match=Username&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=435414

BTW: Anyone trying to used compressed air to blow out caliper pistons, BE CAREFULL. I can't stress using caution enough. Its convenient, but potentially dangerous also.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
use the hydraulic pressure to push the pistons out......air pressure can make your calipers into howitzers!!!!!! *imagine your neighbor sitting down to eat dinner only to have a piston come crashing through the window and onto his dinner plate* heeehee

they will ease right out with brake pressure.....just have someone keep filling your master cylinder...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts