Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

After a partial interior restoration I’ve glued the new (around the door) rubber seal on. It fit into place just like the old but the door jamb towards the driver area gets tight resulting in a hard to shut door on the drivers side. I’ve tried putting a bit of silicone grease on it and adjusting the coupe vent window every way it’ll go to no avail.

Seal has been on for 5 days with the door fully shut but it’s not easing.

Do I need to mess with an adjustment on the door hinges?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
I think it just takes time. The new seals make it really hard to shut the door. Your door alignment looks pretty spot on.

Allen
What did you wind up doing with your doors after the new gaskets?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Should he try moving the door striker straight inboard at least temporarily to compress the seal and at least get it to close completely?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
What did you wind up doing with your doors after the new gaskets?
The passenger side gasket came loose and the drivers door still has to be slammed. I'm going to start over on the gaskets when it gets back from paint and use the yellow 3M adhesive as suggested by Bart in another thread.

So to answer your question, I have not addressed it on the GT.

Allen

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I had that problem on both doors and they never compressed even two years after installation. I heard about Carpenter brand seals reading through the forum. I bought a set put them and what a difference. They were pricier than the previous seals but well worth it. I didn't have to do any adjustments. The first time I closed the door I could tell they were perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had that problem on both doors and they never compressed even two years after installation. I heard about Carpenter brand seals reading through the forum. I bought a set put them and what a difference. They were pricier than the previous seals but well worth it. I didn't have to do any adjustments. The first time I closed the door I could tell they were perfect.
I agree with this......

You should feel some sealing pressure when closing the doors on new weatherstrips, but it should not cause major panel mis-alignment.

I’d try another set of weatherstrips and it sounds like Tom991 resolved his issue with a set of Carpenters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah unfortunately when I bought these a while back I was just starting out and didn’t know about the specific brands & poor fit reputation of Drake Taiwan seals.

For the beltline weatherstrip I had to toss the Taiwans and go with a USA brand.

Was really hoping not to have to redo these because that 3M Super Weather Strip will be 10x the pain to remove again versus the OE. At least I know how to now!

I redid the entire door panels and black door paint. Silicone is only touching old paint not the fresh stuff.

Pass side is almost normal. Driver is tough.

Has anyone successfully “shaved” part of the seal off with a razor blade? I’ll give it a month or so before thinking of taking any action.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has anyone successfully “shaved” part of the seal off with a razor blade? I’ll give it a month or so before thinking of taking any action.
I did, but still not satisfied. I put a sheet of paper in the door jam and shut the door. If it was really hard to pull out, I used a razor blade. While improved, you still have to slam the door. I also didn't like the look of the seal being hacked away. I'm waiting on a new set of weatherstrips and will try again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the same problem with a new seal that prevented the door from closing/aligning. After various attempts (door striker,hinge adjustments) to correct the issue I wound up trimming the seal with a razor knife-now closes and aligns perfectly. I think some of the repro seals just aren't made correctly. (and there has been no change ie the seal has not compressed). In my case the trimming was on the bottom of the door--not visible.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions. It’s closing much more easily now after a bit of silicone spray & gel + a week of compression 😁

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Has anyone here tried the ones from Steele Rubber Products?

https://www.steelerubber.com/
I found a post in a Corvette Forum from 13 years ago that was pretty positive, and the few items available on Amazon that are rated are getting 4 or 5 stars. Not a whole lot of info out there about them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Had the same problem with a new seal that prevented the door from closing/aligning. After various attempts (door striker,hinge adjustments) to correct the issue I wound up trimming the seal with a razor knife-now closes and aligns perfectly. I think some of the repro seals just aren't made correctly. (and there has been no change ie the seal has not compressed). In my case the trimming was on the bottom of the door--not visible.
I've had to do the same, after endless adjustment attempts failed..
I will be replacing seals upon new paint job, but until then....this works (I hate having to slam the doors) ...
Had to trim the boot lid seal also..(basically in half)..Scott Drake seal..

I have heard good things from Steele products, and will be trying them out.

The others all seem to be way too firm, and incompressible from my experience..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About 2 weeks into it the doors now shut almost normally 😁 Just a tiny bit of effort. They are settling nicely. These are the Scott Drake seals from NPD. Key was adjusting the front quarter windows and a light application of silicone grease on the door jambs rubber hitting the body. Also gluing them down flush on the ends esp by the quarter window so there is no interference. Did not need to cut anything. Very happy 🤩

·
Vendor
3,523 Posts
These are the Scott Drake seals from NPD.
Are you sure about that?

We have always carried Daniel Carpenter door weatherstrips, since the beginning of time, both his US-made (in Concord, NC) and his lower-priced imported.

We've never sold the Drake door weatherstrips.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Are you sure about that?

We have always carried Daniel Carpenter door weatherstrips, since the beginning of time, both his US-made (in Concord, NC) and his lower-priced imported.

We've never sold the Drake door weatherstrips.

Rick
NPD
I also just bought US made weatherstripes, not yet installed. Dont remember a tag being on the bag. Other DC parts i know have their sticker on them. Can i assume they are Daniel Carpenter or is there another US maker. If i remember right they were not the highest price option.

·
Vendor
3,523 Posts
I also just bought US made weatherstripes, not yet installed. Dont remember a tag being on the bag. Other DC parts i know have their sticker on them. Can i assume they are Daniel Carpenter or is there another US maker. If i remember right they were not the highest price option.
I do not know of another U.S. manufacturer, although Steele Rubber might do their own...

Considering that U.S.-made 65-66 door weatherstrips are only $23 bucks a pair, and 67-68 only $29 bucks, I don't know why folks would go for the imports just to save $10 bucks... But they do..

Something for everybody! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts