Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ongoing front brakes saga...

After disc calipers are rebuilt by SSBC, I'll have to reinstall and bleed. It's my first time for this...need to get a set of line wrenches....

TIPS ?

- I'm not using silicone brake fluid. Recommended type / brand for the replacement?

- Bleeding tubes: Did you make your own? if so, what size is the tubing and how long? Did you buy?

- What do you use to hold the fluid when you bleed the brakes?

- Will I need to bleed all 4 wheels' brakes even though I'm only working on the fronts?

AFAIK to bleed you simply open the bleed valve, put on the bleed hose and submerge into fluid, and pump the pedal a few times until no more bubbles. Use of "speed bleeders" ? When to add more fluid to the MC and to what level for final fill?

Thanks for any guidance. I hope to get the calipers off on Saturday in hopes of having them back for reinstall next weekend.

Every so-called problem presents an opportunity to learn ! TIA - Dickson

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Assemble the system, fill the MC with DOT4 fluid (I use Castrol, some of my racing buddies use HD Ford brake fluid). Barely crack the bleeders open, let gravity bleed your brakes... Will prolly take 3-4 hours, keep a check on the fluid level.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to slip a length of 7/32 rubber hose on each bleeder to direct the fluid into a container.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Empty Diet Pepsi cans work for your containers. You shouldn't have to bleed the rear although I would at this time since you'll already have everything in place for a flush.
The biggest thing to concern yourself with is to make sure you don't forget to keep your eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder. Letting it go empty defeats the purpose and will suck more air into the system.
Clear tubing as used in aquarium pumps works better than vacuum tubing as you can watch for the absence of air bubbles while your assitant pumps the brakes, thereby knowing for sure that all the air is out.
When finished, fill master cylinder to approximately 1/4 of an inch from the top.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hi Dickson!
While I agree with Art's method I would reccomend

"I'm not using silicone brake fluid. Recommended type / brand for the replacement?"

USE SILICONE FLUID, IT'LL SAVE YOUR PAINT. I PERSONNALY HAVEN'T SEEN THE DREADED PITTING FROM MOISTURE AND FADING OF PEDAL ON THE TRACK (BUT MY PAINT LOOKS GREAT TOO)

- Bleeding tubes: Did you make your own? if so, what size is the tubing and how long? Did you buy?

BUY 2 FEET OF CLEAR 3/16" TUBING AT THE HARDWARE STORE

- What do you use to hold the fluid when you bleed the brakes?

A PEANUT BUTTER JAR, PUT 1/2 A CAN OF FLUID IN THE JAR AND SUBMERGE THE TIP OF THE HOSE

- Will I need to bleed all 4 wheels' brakes even though I'm only working on the fronts?

YES

AFAIK to bleed you simply open the bleed valve, put on the bleed hose and submerge into fluid, and pump the pedal a few times until no more bubbles. Use of "speed bleeders" ? When to add more fluid to the MC and to what level for final fill?

I LOVE SPEED BLEEDERS, USE EM' ON ALL 4 WHEELS! (USED TO DO THE VACCUM PUMP DEAL BUT THE SPEED BLEEDERS WOROK BETTER

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charlie - In the case that I do substitute silicone, do I need to flush the system first? I think I've heard this.

If so, with what? Dickson

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yeah, you do but I haven't gone crazy doing it. I just diassemble everything, clean and re-assemble. In your case you'd do you master cylinder, and the two rear brake cylinders. Blow out the lines with air.

(Silicone fluid leaves a nice shine on things when you wipe if off too!)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I find the method described on this web site works the best:
www.baer.com/bleeding

As far as a catch can for the fluid....I use a large mason jar that way you don't have to empty it as often if at all, like mentioned before keep an eye on fluid level at master cylinder.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I find the method described on this web site works the best:
www.baer.com/bleeding

As far as a catch can for the fluid....I use a large mason jar that way you don't have to empty it as often if at all and it is clear so you can see when you have flushed out all the old dirty fluid, like mentioned before keep an eye on fluid level at master cylinder.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just did the granda swap and had a hard time getting the air out of the system. I finally wwent to napa and purchased the bleeder screws with the check ball in them. Was greet, you can bleed them buy yourself and the results was excellent. Fill the master cylinder and pump the pedel 10 0r 11 times and refill the master cylinder and pump the pedel 10 or 11 times agian until the bubbles are done. Start at back passanger, move to back driver, front passanger, then front driver.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the good tips.

I'll most likely be doing this alone, so I'm calling for some speed bleeders now! Dickson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts