Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
66 Inline 6 (PS/ Auto/ Factory AC Removed)
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is out.
Need to replace the PS shaft boot, the end nut on the shaft end seems stuck but I don’t want to damage anything.
Any tips to remove it?

Steering box coming out for a rebuild. I’ve seen some older videos. Any tips for this too?

thanks.
Automotive tire Wood Floor Asphalt Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Vehicle

· Registered
2,673 Posts
To remove the steering box, you have to disconnect the rag joint and unbolt the pitman arm from the linkage. The box is mounted with bolts through the outside of the frame rail.
On the shaft, I believe there's a flat spot where you can put a wrench on it so it doesn't turn. You can heat the nut up with a propane torch.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

· Registered
8,166 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
The gearbox and up is the same between V8 and I6. Everything below is different. Still the best answer is Chockostang. If they are rebuildale, I would much rather get my original stuff rebuilt, mainly because I know it is the right stuff and fits.

I6 with PS is a very rare beast. Good find.

· Premium Member
10,830 Posts
I6 with PS is a very rare beast. Good find.
When I bought MyFirstCar at 16, over 30 years ago, the seller also had a 66 convertible with power steering, power brakes, AC, power top, Deluxe Interior with console, Vintage Burgundy with Parchment interior. It was absolutely gorgeous. But I could only buy one car, and being 16, of course I went with the 289 V8 auto hardtop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts