Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I'm trying to size up front clearance with a 225/60x15 tire on a 7" width rim with 4.25" backspacing. The clearance issue is at the lower front corner of the fenders. When turning, there is barely the width of a finger (a small one at that) between the tire and the corner. I have 620 springs with roller perches and Streetortrack strut rods. Do you guys see any rubbing problems if I go with this tire setup? I'm thinking the solid strut rod will keep me safe.

Nothing's aligned yet, but just using a level and eyeballing everything, I have some negative camber already and positive caster. Obviously don't know how much but I'm thinking if the caster has to be corrected, the wheel will come forward which certainly won't help any. Any thoughts here?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually I just solved this problem by going to a 215/60 tire. Better clearances and the tire looks better on a 15" rim than a 225.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
There shouldn't be, especially with that firm a front end. I've known several guys running that combination whhel/tire over the years, and the trick seems to be the 7" width wheel, vs. 8", which I HAVE seen issues with the 225/60 tire.
That said, keep in mind these cars vary a lot from vehicle to vehicle, so there are no absolutes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts