Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order a tire lettering pen to touch up the whitewalls. I called all of the local auto parts places and they don't have them. A Google search brings up a few links but I don't like ordering from these tiny websites. Anyone have a link from a more reputable company? One would think that this would be in every Mustang parts vendor's inventory... :loco:

Thanks

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
I just used Comet and a stiff brush on my raised white letters that were dull and "beige" It worked wonders.Might try that unless your WW are cracked or something. :shrug:

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
You could always break out the (GASP) JC Whitney catalog, they got'em. So I hear.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had overspray on the tires because I had repainted the stock wheels. I used mineral spirits and it cleaned the tires up very nicely, including removing the overspray. However, I think the ww's are just yellowed with age.

I read about model paint but heard it cracks due to the flexing of the tire. I'll still look in the craft section because I need paint to touch up the fender emblems and gas cap.

Thanks for the link to JC Whitney, but they only have the wax crayon. I tried that before and was not impressed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You can use white shoe polish. I've used that on my RWL's BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and it does a very good job. You have to have a steady hand.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
AAAH Dude , i just threw mine away, had it since 67 or 70. baught it new to try an cover up those ugly red walls i had. didnt last very long and it wore off and back came the red again.Threw it in a bucket of rusty bolts i kept around for some reason, threw the bolt bucket away with the white marker few years ago when i moved ..sorri Dude you could have had it nearly "NOS" for free....

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
go to a napa auto parts store, the ones here in northern ca have them in the duplicolor brand for like 6.99 in white,red and another one i don't remember! i painted my 16" bfg's blk letters white, looks and worked great.....

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called all of the local auto parts stores and no one has it. I saw a video on YouTube that shows a guy using the Duplicolor pen on raised letters. With the way it comes out I think it would be a PITA to even do thin whitewalls. I'm going to see what I can do with bleach and some hard rubbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts