Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Tire mounting ?

630 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  drmach 
#1 ·
One more ? about my new tires on styled steel wheels, (vote for whitewalls or blackwalls a few posts back, thx.): Do the balancing weights need to be on the outside of the rim or can they be on the inside so they don't mess up the look of the wheel. (never had nice wheels before & and a friend said they could do it either way).
Thx, diArdi

#4 ·
You can do it either way. Last tire I had balanced I asked for them on the inside only. There's actually a place on the work order to enter this information.
The computer will spin the tire and show both scenarios with the weights on both sides or just on the inside. With my weights on the inside on my last tire, it was very close to the way it would have been done if weights were allowed on the outside.
To get the best balance the tire weights have to be put where they are needed. By specifying only on the inside, you may not get the "best" balance possible...however, it may be close enough. The person that balances the tires can tell you how close they will be.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.