Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting 15x7 Magnums on my Dad's 69 S-code 4-speed. Looking for tire brand and size recommendations. What is everyone using and how do they like them? Any recommendations on what not to get is appreciated as well.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You should really consider 15x8's, at least in the back. It looks so much better and you can get a wider tire on it.

I'm running 15x8's all the way around on my '69 sportsroof, with 275/50's in back and 225/60's in front (the 50 series tires are so wide, they are still taller than the 60's in the front). This is with BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. Even with 416 ft. lbs. of toruqe and 354 HP at the rear wheels, traction is EXCELLENT with this setup. The wheels have 4" of backspacing, which is "stock" for a 15x8 Cragar S/S.

http://www.classic-mustang.net/misc/Scary_020406s.jpg

·
Registered
771 Posts
Period look tires are few and far between. BF Goodrich radial T/A's are the only production white letter tire left that looks good on a vintage Mustang IMHO. If you can find some old stock solid letter Goodyears (Wingfoot/ST/GT) they look good but are no longer being manufactured. You could always buy reproduction belted tires but I wouldn't if you're going to drive the car. As far as size goes, johnpro's suggestion is pretty cool but quite wide on the rear. I'm running 205 60's on the front and 225 60's on the rear of my 68. I have 15x7's in the front and 15x8's in the rear but both tires should fit fine on a 7 inch wheel. I've had three 69-70 Machs and I think these sizes would be perfect on them. Good luck with your choice. Here's a chart with sizes others have used.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I have 15x7 all around with 225 60 in front and 245 60 in the rear. In retrospect, I'd have a wider tire in the rear.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine November 2002 Issue:
Race & Street Tire Test: Comparing all the hot rubber against each other and against the clock. Pages 70 -82.

Street Tire: (The most Bang For The Buck)
1. Falken Azenis Sport (Very Cheap) (205/50R15 - $76)
2. BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD (Mega $$$) (205/50YR15 - $149)
3. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (205/50VR15 - $58)

The Falken Azenis Sport offers strong performance for cheap money, while the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD offers goods grip and no bad manners as a daily driven tire. Now that you are interested in a tire that can hold up to track events as well as turn a respectable time at an autocross, then try the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. It offers good bang for the buck and should last a long time.”

1 - 5 of 5 Posts