Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came into ownership of a 65’ mustang coupe about a month ago. Have been doing some minor work myself but the tires are in horrible shape. It currently has 205/70/R13 radial t/a’s, but they are impossible to find. BF Goodrich says they don’t make them anymore. They are on a 4 bolt pattern rim as well. I am thinking of going to a larger size rim and tire without having to do any crazy modifications to the car. I am looking for any recommendations on what to go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
790 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum!!
I understand your issue but can’t help.. Just wanted to say hello and let ya know your 65 looks identical to mine - back when I took possession. It was my great uncles. Ironically he too had your issue. Same size rims of which specific size tires were not readily available even back in 2014. The last set were actually trailer tires just to keep the car on the road.. I still have them / wheels in the attic.
I’m sure someone here can assist!

Again, welcome to VMF!
Nice 65 Dan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings and welcome to the forum!!
I understand your issue but can’t help.. Just wanted to say hello and let ya know your 65 looks identical to mine - back when I took possession. It was my great uncles. Ironically he too had your issue. Same size rims of which specific size tires were not readily available even back in 2014. The last set were actually trailer tires just to keep the car on the road.. I still have them / wheels in the attic.
I’m sure someone here can assist!

Again, welcome to VMF!
Nice 65 Dan.
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. What did you end up putting on the car after the trailer tires?

·
Registered
790 Posts
My build ended up going the pro touring route thus ended up with custom offset 18 inch wheels. Definitely not the diameter most would want and honestly I didn’t either but in the tire widths/diameter I was after, I can say that near everything was only offered in 18 inch or larger. A few 17“ tires were available in my front size but then I was informed the rims I wanted were only available in 18 inch or larger as well.. So I had to compromise on wheel diameter but admit my tire choices are much easier/plentiful.
My gut thinks many will suggest going to a 14 maybe 15 inch rim. Four lug wheels may be limited in larger sizes but you will be able to find tires etc. But then again you may not want to stray from its original appeal. Hopefully someone here has a source for you either way. 👍

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My search says 65s with 6cyl w/o a/c came standard with 6.50x13 tires. 14s we’re an option and standard on all V8s and 6cyl with a/c. ‘66s had 6.95x14 tires standard. So I assume you have a ‘65 w/ 6cyl and minimal options. .
If you’re not going to upgrade suspension, brakes or engine then I’d just get some 14” wheels.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My search says 65s with 6cyl w/o a/c came standard with 6.50x13 tires. 14s we’re an option and standard on all V8s and 6cyl with a/c. ‘66s had 6.95x14 tires standard. So I assume you have a ‘65 w/ 6cyl and minimal options. .
If you’re not going to upgrade suspension, brakes or engine then I’d just get some 14” wheels.
Disclaimer - I have no proof/knowledge otherwise but my uncle was religiously adamant (other than paint color), that his Mustang remained as original as possible. The wheels/OEM hubcaps on the car were 13 inch - when it came to me. Car was a Mar 64 build 260 v8, 3spd with 5 lugs. 😄
(Now I’m curious if he went from 14s to 13s for some reason..?)

One of its final days in MT
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Disclaimer - I have no proof/knowledge otherwise but my uncle was religiously adamant (other than paint color), that his Mustang remained as original as possible. The wheels/OEM hubcaps on the car were 13 inch - when it came to me. Car was a Mar 64 build 260 v8, 3spd with 5 lugs. 😄
(Now I’m curious if he went from 14s to 13s for some reason..?)

One of its final days in MT
View attachment 855500
Oh, a really early car. Checking, it seems they did come with 7.00x13 tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Legendary Wheel Company has some very spiffy, aluminum 4-lug wheels. I have their 16 Magnum 500 replicas on my Mustang and I really like them.
They do have nice looking rims. I was looking at the magnum 400’s. I also like the look of the American racing outlaw ll. Just don’t know if the outlaws would cause an issue with them being 7” instead of 6”. Some sites said their may be some alterations to suspension needed to get them to fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts