Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one explain what tire run out is? I bought some new front tires recently and the car developed a vibration. After jacking up the front and spinning the wheels, it's apparent that there is a flat spot on the tires. I go back to the tire dealer and ask him to true the tires, because of the flat spot and he calls it tire run out. He trues the tire and high speed balances each on the car, it's better but not great. Did he do the job right. If any one understands the proper procedure for trueing, can you explain it?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
"Run Out" is a generic term...sort of hard for me to define without using complicated language but basically it is a lack of symettry in a rotating part. Run out in the case of a tire or wheel can be radial (up and down) or lateral (side to side, or wobble). If a tire was a perfect circle and you put an indicator at the surface it wouldn't move, but if there is a little more on one side of the axis (or a little less in the case of your flat spot) then the indicator would deflect the amount that the tire is out of round. The only fix I know of is tire shaving where the tire is actually turned on a type of tire lathe and cut round again. Of course you lose tread in this operation. I'd be worried about some sort of internal damage or delamination in your tire and if you've purchased them really recently I'd request new tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts