Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Fastback has 67 Styled Steel Wheels. The car needs the tires replaced. I would like to have a vintage look, but want to run radials. I guess that 205/70/14 would be correct, but what about 215 or 225/70/R14? Does anybody have any pics with this type of setup? http://webpages.charter.net/tjfastback66/66%20afpt2.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
The tires you mentioned are going to be pretty tall for a '65, giving you a "4-wheel drive" look. The 205/70 or 195/75 is a better match. If you're just looking for something wider, try a 60 series, like a 225/60-14, which will keep you close to the same overall diameter as the above mentioned "stock" sizes.
You didn't mention the wide of your wheels, however, so that's a consideration with wider tires, too. For example, a 225mm section width tire (8.85") will be too wide for a Styled Steel wheel that's only 5" wide...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I ran 205/70 Michelins on my Styled Steels for years. They had the right look and good ride. I wouldn't recommend going any wider on standard Styled Steels. I'd be concerned they would "balloon out" too much.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock '67 SS Wheels are 5.5 inches wide. I guess that 1/2 inch is not very much, but it should provide the option to get into a wider tire. http://webpages.charter.net/tjfastback66/66%20afpt2.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
I run 215R70x14's on 6" styled steel wheels. The tires bulge out a bit from the wheels, but otherwise, they look good on the car. The nice thing about this size is that it matches (within 1%) of the stock tires, so no futzing with the odometer/speedometer.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My sig pic shows my 66 fastback with 205/70/14s on the front and 225/70/14s on the back. I like the look on my SS wheels. Toying with the idea of going with the same size dual red-lines when the car gets out of the shop.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
When my 67 GT was new, it came from the dealer with 2-ply Firestone F70-14 Wide Ovals (remember those??.....) These were an awesome 8.45 inches in the cross section, and on stuck out nicely on the 6" by 14" GT standard rim, giving the car a waaaayyy cool look :) These GT rims are actually wider than the SS rims. These Wide Ovals were the tires you see on the dealer brochures with the thin white line way out near the outer circumference of the tire. The sidewall ballooned out from the rim, but did not curve back inwards, just went straight down to the treads. No one reproduces them yet - but I can hope... Only lasted 12000 miles though, and the Ford warrantied replacement was also a Firestone Wide oval but no longer with the wide cross section, didn't look anywhere near as cool :pissed:. Also to be noted is the fact that three years afterwards we put radials on the car, much better driving. My point is, it kinda depends on what appearance you want. Now I just stuck some tires on the car just to keep the thing off the floor while it awaits a restoration, and stuck 205-70-14's on it. Result - wimpy undertired, almost 6 cylindered (sorry....) look. Problem also is that diff. tire manufacturers will quote identical sizes, but in real life their tires will still differ in size. Pays to actually see them, or see what's on similar cars at shows. Sorr for the ramble, but my 2¢. :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts