Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some 15x7 3 3/4 backspacing torque thrust D's for my 1965 mustang coupe.My car has a slight drop look to it already but I was wondering what size of tires would look good on my car being that it has a restomod look to it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The 3 3/4" backspacing is really going to limit the width of the tire possible.
Something like a 215 60 would be feasible though.

·
7,013 Posts
I took my car to the tire shop and told them to put the biggest tire that would fit on my wheels (same diameter and backspacing as yours...at least back then)

I was really disappointed when they installed 205-60-15's on it. Said that was all the could do. The back is no problem...but the front is tight when you take a turn and the springs compress (worst case is a hard turn and a bump into a concrete driveway for instance).

There are car to car differences...so you may have more luck than I did. I'd highly recommend letting the tire store make the call. That way if it's a problem, you'll have recourse to get it straightened out on their dime.

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Depends on if your fender lips are rolled or not. With rolled lips, you can fit 225/60's in the back. Without rolled lips, 215/60. Fronts I wouldn't go more than 205/60.

I have 225/60's in back and 205/60's in front on my '66 with the same wheels as you. I rolled the fender lips a couple weeks ago because I was tired of banging the rear tires.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is 3 3/4 the standard backspacing for TT rims wether they are IIs or Ds. I was thnking about 15x7 rims with 225/50 all around. The lips are not rolled. Will I have a problem? What size tire could I use if I went to a 16" tire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts