Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the archives and find a lot of info for 65-68, but not a lot on 69's. Would like to hear some first hand experiences on 69/70 tire sizes, back-spacing ect. It's my brothers car, and he's not really into the low profile tire look, so we're limited to 15" tire sizes. Paint will need touched up, so rolling fender lips is an option. He'd like to go with 8" wheels all the way around. Any experience or advice you wish to offer would be appreciated. He's leaning toward Magnums or Tourque Thrust D's, but everything is up in the air. BTW, it's a gulf stream aqua 69 s-code. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Sorry, I do not know how to host images but my 69 has 15x7 Cragars with BFG TA's; in front are 225 60's and in the rear are 245 60's. The front does not need to be rolled, rear tires could be larger IMO. 15x8 will fit nicely with larger rubber potential in the rear.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have 15x8 Cragar S/S's all the way around on my sportsroof (4.25" backspacing IIRC). In the front I have 225/60's and in the back 275/50's. I could have gotten more tire in the front wheel wells, but most anything else would have gotten taller than the rear tires, which I definately didn't want. As it is, the 275/50's are .25" taller than the 225/60's. These are BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires.

So far, haven't rubbed a tire once. But I took it fairly easy for the whole mile :: (car is a work in progress). Also my front is lowered 1" with the Shelby drop and I have KYB GasAjust shocks.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I have 14X7 Magnums all the way around on my Mach 1 in the back I have 245/60/14 and in front I have 225/60/14 the rear tire could go about 1" wider with the stock setup and magnums the fronts have plenty of room but I stayed fairly narrow so the car wouldn't track in ruts in the road like the 95 Boss does.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stuff guys, keepem' coming. Johnpro, is there any chance you have pictures of the sportsroof? That sounds like the direction we want to go.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have 8x15 cragars with 295/50/15 on the back. I have a very slight rub on the back only when i hit a big bump and some one is in the back seat. If i rolled the lip I'm sure I'd have no rub. I think my back space was 4 1/2. On the front i have 7x15 cragars and 215/60/15, but i don't think they fill the fender wells enough and if i had to do it over i would go bigger.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Here's pics of Scarey, as the car is called around here. I'm trying to transform it from Scarey because of handling to Scarey because of power :D

http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/scarey/scary1.jpg

http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/scarey/scary2.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
I,m runnin 15x8 welds with 225/50/15 up front & 265/50/15 on the rear. Rolled the lips on the fenders & have a mile of clearence. Going to put 245/50/15 on the front when the 225,s wear out & step up to 10" rims on the back when i find some.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those all look great, I'm liking that wide 50 series look. Just wondering, has anyone tried to stuff a 275/60 on an 8" rim in the back? Or maybe a 245/60 on an 8" in the front?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts