Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been stuck in the mindset that I wanted to stay with 15” wheels for a very long time. I always have and continue to feel that 15” wheels just look right on a vintage 60s era mustang but now the tire options just keep decreasing and the trend seems to be going even bigger. With the investment of the tire companies going to larger diameter tires should we now start looking at 18” wheels instead of 17”? I know right now we still have a large selection of 17” but it is much more options in 18”.

I’ve decided to give up on the 15” wheels and go for new wheels. Now I’m torn between the 17” and 18”. I’ll be honest I don’t like either as I prefer the 15” but those days are leaving us behind and it’s time I stepped up to the bigger wheels. All of you autocrossers and road racers what’s your opinion on this?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
17s over 18s and 16s over 17s, Personally I wont go above 16, its ok to have limited tire sizes...all you need is one that works for your setup.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I have to step up to minimum of 17" to clear the Cobra brakes I installed. I currently have a set of 17" and 18". The 18" look a whole lot better than I expected but I am still partial to the look of 17". And, 17" are lighter. Final decision may depend upon best fit, the 18"s have 40mm offset and fit fairly well but I also have a line on a set of 17x8 +45 Bullit wheels that I plan to pick up in the next couple days. They should allow me to maximize the limited space in those narrow 65 front wheel wells and there is good selection of 17" available. The 17" I currently have only have 30mm offset and it puts the tires right at the fender edge.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Yeah, Tire options are getting limited....but normal Radial 14" and 15" Tires will still be available for quite sometime.... (Thank You BFG, Hankook, and Cooper)...

Remember, More Tire on the road gives you a much better and smoother ride... Having more tire is always better....for a better ride...

My 2007 Mustang has 17" 's and I can feel everything on the road... (More than I really want to)...and that's not good.

So if you like being uncomfortable on the road....It's your choice.....especially if you live in Rural areas...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have 18s at all four corners and love them. There are two critical components though, if you're going to go that big: stance and wheel design. You have to nail the stance with wheels that big otherwise it'll look wrong. Big wheels need a lowered car (not ridiculous, but lower than stock). As for wheel design, that's a personal preference but you need something that goes well with your overall look.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh, for overall diameter, I kept it the same that people use for 17s so the overall size doesn't get too big. Mine are 225/40-18.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
for all you that want a 15 but can't find a performance tire and don't like the way 17's look 16" is still a pretty viable option, lots of 225/50/16's to choose from and if you just gotta have something bigger out back 245/50or45/16 are still out there also

·
Dimples
3,500 Posts
Remember, More Tire on the road gives you a much better and smoother ride... Having more tire is always better....for a better ride...

My 2007 Mustang has 17" 's and I can feel everything on the road... (More than I really want to)...and that's not good.
The sidewalls on those S197’s are massive. (235/55) if your ride is too harsh, it ain’t the tires.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"The sidewalls on those S197’s are massive."

That all depends on what YOU consider massive to be...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
We've lapsed into apples to oranges with a sprinkling of locker room humor. For me its all about aesthetics. I like to see more rubber, both from a front/back AND side view. Just looks "right" to me. "To me" is not the same as the collective "to you". My 65 had 14s and I went to 15s (215/60 and 245/60). That looked right to me. Would it have better lateral grip than a 245/45 on a 17 or 18, probably not, but those don't look right to me. From the front or the back they look pretty much identical, but they get "rubber-bandy" looking in my opinion from the side. Lowering and flaring all help with the visual appeal of larger diameter wheels on a classic to me, but for the natural lines of the wheel wells of the older (65/66) Mustangs, I definitely want to see more black sidewall in there. My compromise will be 16s, that's the best I think I can do and satisfy what I want out of the car. Plus, as stated, they are still widely available.

To each his own, though.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts