Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
@Huntingky Do you have any pics with the 17” and 18” wheels?
Not real good ones of the 18 inch, when I was doing some fitting I neglected to take a whole car picture but below are a couple with the late model 18x7 +40mm. The rear is wearing 275, the front, a narrow 255.

Then there are a couple with the 17x8 +30mm Bullets. Tires are 245 all around. I need just a little more offset to tuck those 245s in the front a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I spent months debating over in my head to change from 15 inch. After the mustang international my mine was set on 17`s, but NOT magnum 500s. 245 45 17

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not real good ones of the 18 inch, when I was doing some fitting I neglected to take a whole car picture but below are a couple with the late model 18x7 +40mm. The rear is wearing 275, the front, a narrow 255.

Then there are a couple with the 17x8 +30mm Bullets. Tires are 245 all around. I need just a little more offset to tuck those 245s in the front a little better.
Thanks. The 17s do look better than the 18s. I’m worried that the research and development will go more heavily to the 18” than the 17”. I’m wanting to do some track days and autocross for fun. I’ve also read that the 18” wheel allows for better tucking of the UCA

·
Registered
509 Posts
My 69 has 14" magnum 500s. I'd probably go 15s if I could find some for a reasonable price (yeah, right).

I like old school.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,474 Posts
A lot of this is purely a matter of taste. I was stuck on 15's for a long time. I'll probably stick with such for my '69. But a set of 18's dropped in my lap really cheap. After trial fitment (pictures of that in my thread somewhere in this section) I decided to keep them. I keep looking at them and a part of me keeps thinking "I can't believe I'm going with 18's." But they seem to suit the car. I've noticed as already mentioned by xj220 that bigger rims look better if the car is a bit lowered and the stance tweaked. They seem slightly more at home to me on '67 up cars too, for the most part.
I've got my 18's on the front with spacers, the rears are a whole other project. While mockup a grandson did comment that "the new rims look wicked sick", so there's that I guess.

·
Dimples
4,696 Posts
Every time I convince myself that 18s are too big for a 65-66, I see one that pulls it off. 17s are still plenty big enough for me, but I’m learning that there can be exceptions.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm in the tire and wheel stage now. Prolly go with 22" spinners and a 30 profile tire... >:)

I'm already way over on what I thought I'd spend to get it back on the road but it needs tires at least. He put tires on it, drove it a bit for a few months then went into storage for 13 years. While the treads look great once you look down inside and feel the ride even though they have "new" depth tread they've got the rot. I'd reckon they're good candidates for a blow out.

I was looking at 15-16 on classic looking Cragars with some raised letter Firestones or Goodyears for the olde tyme look. After looking at pics @Huntingky posted the 17s look good with that style wheel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
15-16” are the way to go on these cars.

17” in rare occasions.

18” are totally overkill.

Just one man’s opinion ?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Timely thread bump.
17's really seem like the sweet spot for tire tech/price right now.
I was just watching the IMSA race @VIR and they had a Michelin Tire tech spot. They said that both INDYCAR, that uses 15"s and NASCAR were both considering going to 18" wheels like the GT cars. Benefits of course in deflection and rolling resistance. Then he said the same size would tire would have a longer contact patch which is still wobbling my mind:shrug:

·
Registered
949 Posts
16`s may have a good selection of tires now. The real question here is what will it be 5-10 years down the road when it is time to change them again ? if you think the trend is for bigger rims then the selection will have shrunk by then.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have 2010 Mustang GT 18x8's cause they were cheap, oem and forged.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Care to post up your tire size Bob.
Front -245/40, rear 255/45. At the next tire change I'll be going to 255/40 in the front, and 275/40 in the back.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I think 17” is perfect. No changing my mind on that.

Sent from the interwebs
That looks just right:nerd: - what size wheels and tyres are you running front + back?

Regards
Bebob

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2 cents

16" is the biggest rim that can look right on a 65/66 in my opinion. The 69/70 fastbacks can pull off a larger diameter rim because there is more sheet metal to offset it. Same diameter rim on a 69/70 coupe doesn't look the same. Of course, if there is smoke boiling off the rear tires and the car is sideways at near redline, nobody is really paying any attention to the rim size anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That looks just right:nerd: - what size wheels and tyres are you running front + back?

Regards

Bebob

Bebob-

Fronts are 17x7, 3.75in bs, 205/50R17
Rears are 17x8, 4.5in bs, 255/40R17.

Fenders are rolled on all four corners.

If I were to do it all over again, I would go with 17x8 in the front with 4.75in bs and a 235 or 245/45 tire, with the rears being a 17x9 with 5.5in bs and a 275/40 tire.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
314 Posts
Again it all comes down to personal taste and what you plan on doing with the car. As long as 15 inch rims are the de facto choice for drag racing there will be 15 inch tires. That being said many of those choices will of course be drag race oriented with a few choices for front skinnies.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts