Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
herze my 2 cents:

14" - hard core stockers who like original, its great to see a Mustang on 14s - the sport needs variety, we don't all want to drive the same car. Slightly floaty ponderous performance comparatively to 16/17s

15" - Mama Bear -Old school - dying market for performance - similar to 14" above, Slightly floaty ponderous performance comparatively to 16/17. Great on bad roads

17" - Papa Bear - Modern look - handle great, rough ride, I have 'em on a 2 door Volvo daily driver roughly the same weight and tire size. To me, I become the Princess (Be gentle guyz) and I feel every pea on our upstate roads. . I would drop to 16s if I could find a set to take the jarring out of the suspension, probably better applied to California roads

16" - Baby Bear, Juuuuuuuussssssst Right - Gives a nod to modern whilst not going overboard enough to lose all it's old school charm. Tire Rack told me that there is a crazy amount of Porsches around that use 16s, so performance tires will be around for a long time. I get good deals on tires, just check 225-50-16 on Tire rack for what ever type of performance tires you aspire to. You WILL like the performance improvement, quicker response. Most commonly used rims are available in 16" after market.

18" - Its a look - nuf said - must be a brutal ride - again a California road thing

Now, make sure you are sitting down for this next concept because with the fretting I see over this decision, this could be revolutionary and heretical for some; I know one guy who shall remain nameless that actually has multiple sets of spats for his Mustang - NO KIDDING! Its not my place to out him but I'll say this, we all know him!!! One set for autocross and performance and the others to change his statement.

Ok perhaps I gave a Nickel's worth...

Not a great pic as I'm just coming out of a hard hi-speed corner, there is still some roll flattening the bottoms and I'm WOT so the car is rear weighted also so the stance looks low and very low in teh rear but its the only profile I appear to have of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

I think 17” is perfect. No changing my mind on that.

Sent from the interwebs
those look good. i'm not the biggest fan of big wheels on early cars, but as long as they're not chrome I think some cars can pull the look off. chrome wheels to me exaggerate the bigger diameter.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
herze my 2 cents:

14" - hard core stockers who like original, its great to see a Mustang on 14s - the sport needs variety, we don't all want to drive the same car. Slightly floaty ponderous performance comparatively to 16/17s

15" - Mama Bear -Old school - dying market for performance - similar to 14" above, Slightly floaty ponderous performance comparatively to 16/17. Great on bad roads

17" - Papa Bear - Modern look - handle great, rough ride, I have 'em on a 2 door Volvo daily driver roughly the same weight and tire size. To me, I become the Princess (Be gentle guyz) and I feel every pea on our upstate roads. . I would drop to 16s if I could find a set to take the jarring out of the suspension, probably better applied to California roads

16" - Baby Bear, Juuuuuuuussssssst Right - Gives a nod to modern whilst not going overboard enough to lose all it's old school charm. Tire Rack told me that there is a crazy amount of Porsches around that use 16s, so performance tires will be around for a long time. I get good deals on tires, just check 225-50-16 on Tire rack for what ever type of performance tires you aspire to. You WILL like the performance improvement, quicker response. Most commonly used rims are available in 16" after market.

18" - Its a look - nuf said - must be a brutal ride - again a California road thing

Now, make sure you are sitting down for this next concept because with the fretting I see over this decision, this could be revolutionary and heretical for some; I know one guy who shall remain nameless that actually has multiple sets of spats for his Mustang - NO KIDDING! Its not my place to out him but I'll say this, we all know him!!! One set for autocross and performance and the others to change his statement.

Ok perhaps I gave a Nickel's worth...

Not a great pic as I'm just coming out of a hard hi-speed corner, there is still some roll flattening the bottoms and I'm WOT so the car is rear weighted also so the stance looks low and very low in teh rear but its the only profile I appear to have of the car.
I'll bet he has wheels you've never seen or can imagine :wink:

·
Registered
565 Posts
A lot of this is purely a matter of taste. I was stuck on 15's for a long time. I'll probably stick with such for my '69. But a set of 18's dropped in my lap really cheap. After trial fitment (pictures of that in my thread somewhere in this section) I decided to keep them. I keep looking at them and a part of me keeps thinking "I can't believe I'm going with 18's." But they seem to suit the car. I've noticed as already mentioned by xj220 that bigger rims look better if the car is a bit lowered and the stance tweaked. They seem slightly more at home to me on '67 up cars too, for the most part.
I've got my 18's on the front with spacers, the rears are a whole other project. While mockup a grandson did comment that "the new rims look wicked sick", so there's that I guess.
Hahaha! Funny about your grandson, and it's funny how we DO listen to the younger set and they are an influence to the bigger 'trend'. I'm right there with you Gypsy, on that '67-'68 it's a different look. Suites my taste better, and yes it's just preference.

That being said, the main reason I want to go with 18's is BIGGER BRAKES! Surprised no one mentioned that as a reason... I'd really like to find out the biggest brake rotors we can fit in them. Talking 6 piston Wilwood or brembo just because I've never had 6 pots and I really enjoy stopping. 14" rotors? 14.5"??

Gypsy did you use the spacers because the 18's would hit the upper ball joint? What do those spacers handle like? Any adverse affects? Do they hit anywhere because they're pushed out? I recently picked up a used set of 1" drop spindles by Maier Racing that supposedly will get 18's up over that joint? Only prob is the brake mount they came with were only for about 12"-13" Wilwoods. They say it's no big deal to weld on whatever brake mounts you need, unlike the cast spindles. I guess all these questions could answered with one call to Charles...

Who thinks these look too big? I think I'd like a LITTLE more suspension travel than Mike's Old-Blue, but those are sweet lookin' 315's on 18's, and what I'd call the most perfect deep dish look. I've gotta have SOME dish. I bet those 18's would look even better on a '67-'68!

Is this too much? I like it, but I think it's too gaudy for me.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Hahaha! Funny about your grandson, and it's funny how we DO listen to the younger set and they are an influence to the bigger 'trend'. I'm right there with you Gypsy, on that '67-'68 it's a different look. Suites my taste better, and yes it's just preference.

That being said, the main reason I want to go with 18's is BIGGER BRAKES! Surprised no one mentioned that as a reason... I'd really like to find out the biggest brake rotors we can fit in them. Talking 6 piston Wilwood or brembo just because I've never had 6 pots and I really enjoy stopping. 14" rotors? 14.5"??

Gypsy did you use the spacers because the 18's would hit the upper ball joint? What do those spacers handle like? Any adverse affects? Do they hit anywhere because they're pushed out? I recently picked up a used set of 1" drop spindles by Maier Racing that supposedly will get 18's up over that joint? Only prob is the brake mount they came with were only for about 12"-13" Wilwoods. They say it's no big deal to weld on whatever brake mounts you need, unlike the cast spindles. I guess all these questions could answered with one call to Charles...

Who thinks these look too big? I think I'd like a LITTLE more suspension travel than Mike's Old-Blue, but those are sweet lookin' 315's on 18's, and what I'd call the most perfect deep dish look. I've gotta have SOME dish. I bet those 18's would look even better on a '67-'68!

I would like more information on this blue coupe. What was done to the rear suspension and what mini tub kit was used? What is the BS on the rear wheels and was the stock width axle used? Same for the front of this car.

I'm building a 66 coupe and I have installed the mini tubs and the Crites leaf spring relocation kit. I am suppose to be able to fit a 315 under it when I am done. I have roughly 13.5 inches from the inner tub to the inside edge of the wheel lip, the lip will be rolled later when I get an axle under it.

I was leaning towards 17's but the blue coupe does look good with 18's on it and allow me to run bigger brakes.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I would like more information on this blue coupe. What was done to the rear suspension and what mini tub kit was used? What is the BS on the rear wheels and was the stock width axle used? Same for the front of this car.

I'm building a 66 coupe and I have installed the mini tubs and the Crites leaf spring relocation kit. I am suppose to be able to fit a 315 under it when I am done. I have roughly 13.5 inches from the inner tub to the inside edge of the wheel lip, the lip will be rolled later when I get an axle under it.

I was leaning towards 17's but the blue coupe does look good with 18's on it and allow me to run bigger brakes.
I believe that is Magnus Marthinsen's coupe. I believe he lives in Sweden and posts on several Mustang sites on Facebook. Here is his page https://www.facebook.com/magnus.marthinsen.5/timeline?lst=632744110:100003666266729:1572874141

The car is painted in New Holland blue tractor paint. I really like the stance and wheel/tire setup but I believe he recently posted some pictures of him cutting the fender arches to fit some flares for even wider tires.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I believe that is Magnus Marthinsen's coupe. I believe he lives in Sweden and posts on several Mustang sites on Facebook. Here is his page https://www.facebook.com/magnus.marthinsen.5/timeline?lst=632744110:100003666266729:1572874141

The car is painted in New Holland blue tractor paint. I really like the stance and wheel/tire setup but I believe he recently posted some pictures of him cutting the fender arches to fit some flares for even wider tires.
Correction: Norway
Here is his website with contact info https://www.magnusmarthinsen.com/bio.html

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
"Gypsy did you use the spacers because the 18's would hit the upper ball joint? What do those spacers handle like? Any adverse affects? Do they hit anywhere because they're pushed out?"
My upper control arms are modified to accommodate the FULL Arning drop which may have some bearing on how mine in particular fit. And yes, the edge of the rims were all in the upper control arm right where the balljoint is. I used washers and stuff to figure out how thick of spacers I would need to clear with a little room for error.

Handling I can't say. I need to swap out the entire rear end assembly before I even start to worry about wheel fitment on the back. And that isn't happening for a good while.
I started some fairly major kitchen/living renovation and wife would really like it to be "done" before the entire clan comes over for Thankgiving dinner and it's going to be close. So if....OK, WHEN I get caught loitering around out in the garage it doesn't go well for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been stuck in the mindset that I wanted to stay with 15” wheels for a very long time. I always have and continue to feel that 15” wheels just look right on a vintage 60s era mustang but now the tire options just keep decreasing and the trend seems to be going even bigger. With the investment of the tire companies going to larger diameter tires should we now start looking at 18” wheels instead of 17”? I know right now we still have a large selection of 17” but it is much more options in 18”.

I’ve decided to give up on the 15” wheels and go for new wheels. Now I’m torn between the 17” and 18]”. I’ll be honest I don’t like either as I prefer the 15” but those days are leaving us behind and it’s time I stepped up to the bigger wheels. All of you autocrossers and road racers what’s your opinion on this?
I like both 14's and 17's. The 17's ride and handle much better than my old BF Goodrich's Still have the 14's w for days I'm felling nostalgic, but I bet they'll just collect dust.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Correction: Norway
Here is his website with contact info https://www.magnusmarthinsen.com/bio.html
I honestly thought I was posting a pic of Mike Maier's Old Blue mustang in California, but I think Mike has a couple? Is Magnus' car a clone? Either way, you could also contact Mike if you want to know how to fit 18 inch 315's under there.
His dad has a separate company that makes glass and carbon fiber vm parts, rear flares and full front fenders and discusses what to do for fitting wider tires in video's on this site:

I've got no affiliation with them....

41 - 52 of 52 Posts