Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when in park with the car running when turning the steering wheel the tires appear to shake back and forth. I would compare this movement to a pager on vibrate. I also noticed when driving and turning a corner this motion does not occur. I replaced the return and pressure power steering lines because there was a hole in one of them...originally I thought the shaking of the tires was related to air in the lines. After replacing the lines and putting in power steering fluid I turned the steering wheel back and forth to remove the air from the lines....the shaking of the tires got better as we turned the steering wheel. My neighbor said the shaking would go away as the air was removed from the lines. However, I noticed today that the shaking has not gone away completely(the lines were replaced about 2 weeks ago). I thougth this might be an alignment problem but when driving, the car does not pull to one side or the other. Can anyone help me? Have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I'm assuming you flushed the system prior to refill. Perhaps the metal shavings that are produced inside during normal wwear caused limited damage to the pump or pressure relief valve....I don't think I'd worry too much about this one.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
What is your idle set at? Just thinking that perhaps the pump isn't putting out adequate volume at an idle. Does it still do the jerking if you idle it up a little while turning the wheel?

As you sit in one spot and turn the wheel, the rubber is pivoting where it contacts the ground. I've seen some cars that acted similar to what you describe. It seemed that the tires didn't turn smoothly in one spot, rather, the rubber seemed to grip the road surface, then "give" all at once in very small increments. The result was a series of little jerks as the tire turned, or pivoted, in one spot. Unless it's a real problem for you, I don't think I would worry too much about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts