Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on my 66 fastback, I've got 15x8" rims with 215-65r15 up front. And that is way too much tire. I don't have any inderference problems, but I want to drop the front end down a little.

I'd like to go to a 50 series tire up front. What is the narrowest tire and I will be able to fit on a 8" rim? Should I chuck the 15x8's and go with a 7" rim up front?

TIA

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Check my FAQ page (link in sig, below) and look for tire topics under Miscellaneous (I think that's the section). There are links to a couple of tables that may help.

Jerry

The FAQs, nothing but the FAQs: http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

If you can't [color:red]dazzle</font color=red> [color:green]them</font color=green> [color:yellow]with</font color=yellow> [color:purple]brilliance</font color=purple>, baffle 'em with bull

G

·
0 Posts
Jerry,
Regarding the chart, what is "backspace"? Is that clearance to the top of the wheel well from the tire?

thanks,

Jay
1965 Pre-GT Fastback, A-code, C4 trans.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Backspacing is the distace between the edge of the rim and the flat surface that goes up against the drum. Can't think of the technical term....must have more caffiene. lol

Measuring backspacing is easy. You put a straight edge across the rim and measure down to that flat part.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
No.

It's the distance between the surface of the wheel that mounts to the hub and the rear edge of the rim. It determines how far in or out of the wheel well (horizontally) the tire will sit when mounted. If that's not clear, go back to the FAQ---there's a topic on backspacing.

Jerry

The FAQs, nothing but the FAQs: http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

If you can't [color:red]dazzle</font color=red> [color:green]them</font color=green> [color:yellow]with</font color=yellow> [color:purple]brilliance</font color=purple>, baffle 'em with bull

1 - 5 of 5 Posts