Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is sick and tired of battling the parking brake cable on the Versailles rear disc brake calipers, I found a tool you might want. This is a Briggs and Stratton 19063 valve spring compressor.

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
I don't have my Versailles rear end any longer but I don't recall having any issues connecting the cable to the lever on the caliper. Is there any chance you have the lever installed on the caliper backwards? Maybe the swaged ball goes where you have the spring and the spring goes where you have the swaged ball? I vaguely recall putting the ball behind the split in the fork and then pulling the spring around the fork to the position where your ball is now.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
OMG, I just put the brake cables on my calipers a few days ago and I was cursing the person who created such a dumb design. That tool would have been perfect!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have my Versailles rear end any longer but I don't recall having any issues connecting the cable to the lever on the caliper. Is there any chance you have the lever installed on the caliper backwards? Maybe the swaged ball goes where you have the spring and the spring goes where you have the swaged ball? I vaguely recall putting the ball behind the split in the fork and then pulling the spring around the fork to the position where your ball is now.
Maybe the original Ford parking brake cables didn't have as stiff of springs but the Raybestos ones I have are insanely difficult to compress with any type of pliers and the "ball" on the end sticks inside the spring. With everything installed and doing this last, I didn't see any other way to get it in its slot.

I'm almost positive that the levers are oriented correctly. They match the old ones I removed.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG, I just put the brake cables on my calipers a few days ago and I was cursing the person who created such a dumb design. That tool would have been perfect!
I guess in this case, better late than never isn't all that helpful, but maybe it'll help next time you have to mess with them.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Maybe the original Ford parking brake cables didn't have as stiff of springs but the Raybestos ones I have are insanely difficult to compress with any type of pliers and the "ball" on the end sticks inside the spring. With everything installed and doing this last, I didn't see any other way to get it in its slot.

I'm almost positive that the levers are oriented correctly. They match the old ones I removed.
Check my pics in your other post,the ball you have looks tiny compared to the ones on my cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts