Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pick up a new set of tires for the car trailer. The trailer isn't used often, so I hate to spend a ton of $$ on good tires just for the sidewalls to crack and wear out before the tread does, like they are now.

Is there a specific tire made for trailers that will last a little better, especially the sidewalls?

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Is this for a flatbed trailer? If so, car tires will work fine--that's what were on mine for 18 years with no problems. For my enclosed trailer I bought four tire covers for about $30 from California Car Cover company to protect them from the sun and extend their life. They work great. Another way to protect them is to remove the tires during trailer storage.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are for a flatbed trailer. I may try the covers to keep the sun off of them.

Is there anything else that can be put on the tires sidewalls to help keep them from drying out so fast and cracking when not in use?

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
My friends and I have never used any products on our trailer tires--we just keep them covered so the sun can't dry them out. Before I got the fabric covers I used plywood to shade them from the sun. The best protection is to put the trailer on jackstands, take the tires off the trailer and store them. I know that's a pain, but it does work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Trailer tires are made differently than auto tires. The sidewalls are subjected to side loads on a trailer that make auto tires unsuitable.Yes the sidewalls always seam to go before the tread wears out.
The major cause of failures on trailer tires are old age. The tires because they still have good tread are kept in service long past their time. This has brought about a change,trailer tires will now be date coded with a 3yr expiration date.
So the tire covers,removal and storage to try and squeeze more yrs out of them days are gone.
Buy proper trailer tires of the proper load range for your loads and tow with out worry.
If you have never had a tire blow on a loaded trailer at highway speeds you dont really know what excitement is.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
But if you live in the desert, tire covers are still a good idea if you want to get the three years life out of your tires. That direct sunlight can cook them in no time flat. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts