Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew something was really wrong with the way the fastback was riding - lots of vibration from the front end, especially at higher speeds....I suspected something in the alignment, and that perhaps a wheel was out of balance.

Jacked the front end up - one spin of the tire and it was easy to see that BOTH front tires were out of round. No wonder I had vibrations at 50 mph !

Took it in to my tire shop, and they confirmed my assesment - one tire has some separation. I'll be replacing the BF Goodriches with some comparable blackwall Goodyears....As well as snugging a loose idler arm, and getting an alignment....

Tires came from TireRack.com - IIRC about 6 months ago......Do you think I have any recourse with them ?

Lastly, the BFGs were white letter, but I'm leaning towards getting blackwalls to replace. With white GT stripe and SSWs, I thought they might look better. What do you think ?

Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
912 Posts
I doubt you will have much luck getting any sympathy from the vendor on a set of 6 month old tires. I have run into the situation on new tires and have gotten a hassle from vendors.

Be sure and check the wheels before replacing the tires. Am out of round wheel will cause a tire to appear out of round.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You can contact TireRack.com to see what they say. Your best bet might be to find someone in your home town that sells BF Goodrich tires and see if they will help you with them. Good Luck

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
My experience with Tire Rack has been good. I had the same issue with a set of Bridgestones. Look at thier web site for what the warrenty is. In my case it was lifetime free replacement for the tread life. You might also be able to get them warrentied locally! Know your rights! Tire Rack did OK by me.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Before I replaced my Mag 500's I found my mags had gone out of round and could not be balanced. I thounght it was a wheel alignment or unblalnced tire. 3 out of the 4 wheels were out of round. Couldn't do anything with them. I ended up getting new Mags, and then new tires from Tirerack. the Dunlop GT. They have been very good tires. I would call Tire Rack first and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the wheel itself is out of round, I suppose then that you could balance it with the tire mounted, but it would still give you vibrations at speed......bummer /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Since my wheels are styled steel wheels, they will have to be laser balanced (as the tire shop has the standard "balace on the center hole" balancer won't work)....I guess they can check the rims to make sure they are true....

Thanks for the guidance ! Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts