Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a set of new tires for my 66 Coupe. I currently have 215/60R14 and they seem a little small in regard to diameter. I mean that they don't fill the fenders very well. I saw a 67 coupe in Mustang monthly that had 235/60R14 BF Goodrich TA's and it looked great. I have looked at numerous tire/wheel charts and they list the 215/60R14 as the tire of choice in 14".

Does anyone have the 235/60R14 on a '66? If so do they rub or are there any other issues?

I have access to a great deal on some of the 235/60R14 TA's and would like to buy them, but not if they aren't going to fit. I have talked to a couple local tire stores and they didn't know what a '66 Mustang or a 14" tire were!!

Any insight would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You don't say what the backspacing is on the wheels you are using or plan to use or how much room you have in the fenderwells with the 215s....
But, assuming you use the same wheels the 235s should increase width on inboard/outboard sides by approx. 10mm each, right? using a tape measure you should be able to crawl under and see if there is that much room to spare... check for vertical space too as the 235s will be slightly taller than 215s.
Tire sizes vary from brand to brand. Your experience may differ./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
Good Luck/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The 60 series 14" tires you are running are to small in diameter. On your 14" rims you should be using a 70 series tire. If you change to 15" rims then a 60 series would be just perfect in diameter. I am running 215/60x15 front and 225/60x15 rear tires on my lowered 1967 convertible.
http://pages.prodigy.net/opabear/_uimages/PICT0046-B.jpg

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree with Russ. Lose the 14-inch and go to 15-inch wheels if you want to use 60s or 55s. Make sure you use a wheel with proper backspaceing (3.75 - 4.00, IIRC) in order to clear the sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You didn't say which wheels you'll be using,but 235/60/14's fit perfectly(on the rear) on a 14x7 with 4 3/4 backspacing.I have two sets of styled steel wheels(14's and 15's)ordered from specialty wheels with this backspacing.It will look better with 15's.All of the 7 inch wide's available from most mustang suppliers will be 4 1/4 backspacing,because any more than this the wheel gets really close to the ball joint.On the front,I think 7 wides look a bit to big.6 inch wides are available from Stockton wheel,but they're expensive and it takes two months to get them.There are dozens of other wheel choices out there so be patient and make sure you get it right the first time.Let us know what you decide and how it turns out...

·
Registered
709 Posts
When I first bought my '66 coupe it had 14x7 rims 4" b.s.. with 245/60r14's on back with no clearance problems and 225/60r14's on front (lowered 1" in front) that hit occasionally.
I took them off (not fond of little rims). You need to measure you car and check for yourself though.
-Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts