Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new (to me) 65 GT Convertible (4 barrel V8) got a flat. Pulled the wheel off and see that the tires are pretty old (pre-date the 4 digit date codes). So, will be purchasing a new set of 4 tires.

I'm wondering a few things:
1) Is there a way to tell if my wheels are OEM?
2) Car currently has 195/75/14s...I'm thinking I would prefer looks of 205/70/14s. Would those work on the OEM wheels?
3) I hate the suspension (way too floaty, especially after going over speed bumps or changing lanes at any speed). Any suggestions of tires to use to give me most options when do something to the suspension (I want to get tires now, so that car isn't sitting until I have time to better research suspension options)?
4) Car is stock...and if restored, it is an old restoration. What are my options to keep it as original as possible, but with a little better handing (street cruiser, not a track car)?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
Ahh, too easy. If the rims are riveted to the hubs, original. If welded, repro.

If your suspension is in good condition, look at the power steering control valve, if you have PS.

Whatever you have, doing this will really upgrade your suspension, tightening up that 'feel'.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Look at the tire size spec. The spec gives the range of acceptable rim width. The width is the inside width.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha...5 minutes and a couple of great responses. Appreciate it guys. Looks like a great forum.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Ha...5 minutes and a couple of great responses. Appreciate it guys. Looks like a great forum.
That's typical around here. Welcome to VMF.
Stan

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If the front end is floaty chances are the shocks are shot!

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
So, these look welded. I guess what looks like rivets are an attempt my manufacturer to look more original?
Exactly. I'm running 205/70R14 tires on OEM wheels. Runs great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts