Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of AR Torq Thrust II's that I am putting on my 68 coupe. They are 17x8's with a 4.5" backspacing I believe, I was wondering if anyone would have any experience with tire sizes that would fit. I was hoping to match all 4 corners, but am still open to recommendations. I was looking at 245/45/17's...think they would fit fine? Ideas and recommendations for tires are greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am working on tires for my 69 coupe right now. I went with a 245/40-17 Kumho MX. It is slightly smaller in diameter, which helps with clearance at the fender lip. I think with 4.75 backspacing I could even go a bit wider. I have not tried this wheel on the back yet. I am thinking it would be a tight fit. The back wheels need a bit more backspacing for optimal fit.

For the rear on mine I chose 17x9.5 wheels with 6 3/8" backspacing, and 275/40-17 Kumho MX tires. The fit is perfect, and it totally fills the rear wheel well. I won't have to roll the fender lip, and only had to massage 2 spots on the inner fender and trim the bump stop metal tab to get clearance.

Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
my 67 has 17x7 fronts with 4.5 bs and rolled fenders with 245/45/17s. the rears are 6" of bs with 275/40/17s. I had to massage the inner fender as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have 17x8 boyd coddington smoothie IIs with 4.5 inch backspacing running 245/45/17 kuhmo ecsta 712s on my 68 fastback. Don't have the car on the road yet but the backs have plenty of room with 2 inch lowering blocks ( I replaced the 1/4's so I don't know the true effect on stock sheetmetal). The fronts look really good but my fenders already had rolled lips and I cut 1 coil off the springs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I put 235/45/17 on my vet with the exaxt same rim. Fit like a glove and I had the wheel well moulding on. No rub. The car was stock height.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have 255/45/17's on my front and 255/50/17's on the rear. If I had it to do over again I would drop it down one size (245's instead) to eliminate the rubbing that occurs once in a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts