Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the frumpy whitewalls on my '67 coupe! I'd like to go with 215/65s on the front and 235/60s on the rear, on 15x7 wheels.

What is the correct backspacing? (I *have* searched!) I'm thinking of Edelbrock 409 wheels, which are only available in 4" backspacing--will this work, or will the 235s rub?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I believe they will work, but will pass on the same tip as I did for another VMFer. Have the tire place mount it up, install it, let the lift down, bounce up and down on it, have a tire tech look at it for possible interference. This will give you the warm, fuzzies about it.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice! But what if there *is* a problem? Can you return wheels?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
That's the reason for checking it out thoroughly AT the tire place. They should mount you one up and let you test it there. If it appears it might rub, they should not have a problem taking it off and putting the next size down on for you. If you leave the store with it, its yours. You will be able to tell if its going to rub. Have a couple of heavy tire handlers sit on your trunk on the side its mounted on, run you hand between the fender and the tire, you can tell. I'm thinking that 235/245/60s are pretty common on 67/68s, due to their wider openings. Like I said, I have 245s on my 65 and its REAL narrow in there, by comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts