Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have BFG G Force tires, and Vintage Wheel Works wheels. The front tires both have very slow leaks, about 5 PSI per month. The rear tires are fine. I've checked the fronts for leaks by holding them in water to see if there are any visable bubbles and didn't see any. There are zero miles on them. Is there some sort of sealant I could use besides Slime? Actually, I think the aluminum wheels could be porous.

·
Registered
38,621 Posts
No bubbles, no air leaks. Problems with the neighbor kids? LOL.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Its not me letting the air out. Something is not air tight. Use thicker air.
I remember seeing a cartoon, maybe in Mustang & Fords or the back of an old MCA bulletin close to 30 years ago...
Guy was laying under, wrenching on his Mustang and wife calls out to him, "Some guy is on the phone selling NOS air for the tires..."

I have some NOS dirt somewhere.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
My wife had similar issue on her car. She took it in to a different shop than where she bought the tires. They broke the beads and wire wheeled and cleaned the rims and beads, problem went away. Guy there said he sees the issue a lot. Tire shops pop old tire off, new tire on and leave grit and rubber residue between bead and rim. Leak is so slow it won't show bubbles but tires go low in a couple months.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
My wife had similar issue on her car. She took it in to a different shop than where she bought the tires. They broke the beads and wire wheeled and cleaned the rims and beads, problem went away. Guy there said he sees the issue a lot. Tire shops pop old tire off, new tire on and leave grit and rubber residue between bead and rim. Leak is so slow it won't show bubbles but tires go low in a couple months.
Agree. If you have to use sealer of any kind, there's a problem. I would suggest taking those wheels to a good tire shop and having them removed, everything cleaned and re-mounted with new valve stems. You'd have to remove and re-mount the tires to apply that sealer anyway, but again, sealer should not be necessary with good wheels and good tires.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Agree. If you have to use sealer of any kind, there's a problem. I would suggest taking those wheels to a good tire shop and having them removed, everything cleaned and re-mounted with new valve stems. You'd have to remove and re-mount the tires to apply that sealer anyway, but again, sealer should not be necessary with good wheels and good tires.
I view sealer as a bit of belt and suspenders. Both cleaning the rim bead and application of bead sealer can be done with the tire installed on the rim. Simply deflate the tire, break both beads loose so that beads fit in the well of the rim, clean rim and beads, apply sealer, use ratchet strap around tire to push sidewalls out, remove valve core to allow a large rush of air from the compressor. Inflate to pop beads on and Bob is your uncle.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Coupe Auto
46 Posts
This is only for the adventurous. Pull a tire and wheel. Deflate and break the bead on both sides of the rim. Stand the tire and wheel upright. Soak the bead on both sides all the way around with lighter fluid. Stand back as far as you can reach. Toss a match. The explosion will seal the bead perfectly and you'll spend the weekend looking for low tires so that you can do it again.
No animals were injured while writing this comment. All complaints and second-guesses are the responsibility of the reader.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
This is only for the adventurous. Pull a tire and wheel. Deflate and break the bead on both sides of the rim. Stand the tire and wheel upright. Soak the bead on both sides all the way around with lighter fluid. Take one last swig then ask buddy to hold beer and watch this, Stand back as far as you can reach. Toss a match. The explosion will seal the bead perfectly and you'll spend the weekend looking for low tires so that you can do it again.
No animals were injured while writing this comment. All complaints and second-guesses are the responsibility of the reader.
You forgot the most important step, so I fixed it for ya. ;)

Myth Busters tested this to inflate a tire. The problem they found was that when the gases cooled they contracted and sucked the tire back in.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,927 Posts
Myth Busters tested this to inflate a tire. The problem they found was that when the gases cooled they contracted and sucked the tire back in.
I wonder how Mythbusters managed to muff that. People have been mounting tires with exploding ether for years and years. I've seen it done myself and there are plenty of Youtube videos.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I wonder how Mythbusters managed to muff that. People have been mounting tires with exploding ether for years and years. I've seen it done myself and there are plenty of Youtube videos.
As I recall they tried to "inflate" a tire. Removal of the valve core would certainly prevent the a vacuum from being created as the gas cooled.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts