Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Porous Chinese aluminum rims is my guess, local tire shops can seal them.

·
Registered
857 Posts
In the late '70's Pontiac had a batch of aluminum honeycomb wheels that were so cheap/porous that the air leaked out through the aluminum. Cast in Mexico for Pontiac. The Pontiac dealership fixed my neighbor's wheels with some kind of sealant applied to the inside. Dave R.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes I second...we used this stuff all the time in the shop. But the real issue is probably corrosion on the inside lip of the wheel...even aluminum wheels. I used to see it all the time on all kinds of cars and truck when I was a pimple-popping tire & batter shop tech monkey. If the customer wanted it, we woud take the tire off, or just bust the bead back enough so that we could sand the inside of the rim lip, then blast it with air. Sometimes put a bit of bead sealer over it just to make sure they didn't choke up the shop again :)

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just to clarify, these tires and wheels have never been on the road or out of the shop. The wheels are new. I suspect porous aluminum. I'll ask around at local tire shops about a procedure to seal the wheel rims.

·
Premium Member
14,343 Posts
not sayin’ it’s the OP’s issue, but Bridgestone / Firestone just had a recall on batch(es) of tires that had pinholes in the sidewall.

Despite all QC it is still happening on new tires.

Z

21 - 28 of 28 Posts