Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1965 vin# 5R07C147717 on title and door tag. Title shows it as 1964. WHY? Door tag is 65A J 26 14K 75 6 6. So it was produced On 14-OCT 1964 After
July it should be 1965.
It does have some of the 64.5 features like spare tire hold down as a groove not a J hook type, Door handles as clip not screws, carpet don't go to door sill, Hood bump stops shows the screws.
The car has a 289 2barrel and alternator, not a generator. A/C and power steering.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
My Sept '64 built '65 Fastback had an error in the old hand typed title when I bought it. Some clerk had mis-typed "5R09O139711" instead of the correct "5R09C139711". I tried to explain to the clerk at the DMV that O was impossible because there was no O code engine. She said she believed me but I would have to bring the car down there on a Tuesday morning along with a Cashier's Check for $40 and get the Auto Theft Task Force sergeant to look at it and authorize them to correct the title. He did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Sept '64 built '65 Fastback had an error in the old hand typed title when I bought it. Some clerk had mis-typed "5R09O139711" instead of the correct "5R09C139711". I tried to explain to the clerk at the DMV that O was impossible because there was no O code engine. She said she believed me but I would have to bring the car down there on a Tuesday morning along with a Cashier's Check for $40 and get the Auto Theft Task Force sergeant to look at it and authorize them to correct the title. He did.
That what I thought. Dam. But, it has to Be done. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I wondered if it showed 1964 because of the year it was typed or built, not sold, as some things differ state to state but I dunno how old your title is. I have the original title for two of three cars and I'm hoping I can eventually find the third, but it isn't likely.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have heard that back in the old days some states titled a car the year it was sold new.

I also heard that a man with a hook for a hand scratches on young children and old ladies windows at night.........................

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
"So I need to get certified as a 65 and re-do title? "

Yes. If the car was a '64 1/2 car. I'd say leave it....but since it isn't a '64 1/2 car and it's a Regular Production '65, Yes, Have DMV change it. It's just dopey to leave it as a '64...

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Leave it and you can win the bet I make when someone tells me they have a 64 1/2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wondered if it showed 1964 because of the year it was typed or built, not sold, as some things differ state to state but I dunno how old your title is. I have the original title for two of three cars and I'm hoping I can eventually find the third, but it isn't likely.
This title shows car purchased 2002 but not titled until 2016 in Colorado. Has been in storage since.
Leave it and you can win the bet I make when someone tells me they have a 64 1/2.
15939074705237445095411759080019.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bought mine out of state from the original owners but my tag office made me turn it in. I wish I could have kept it.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
When I bought my car the California Title said "First Sold : 1965", which was correct as my car was built on or about September 19, 1965, but is a 66 model year. When I moved to Michigan they wanted to title it as 1965 as that is what the California title insinuated. I explained to the lady that the VIN number clearly identifies it as a '66 and she titled it correctly. I am sure many California cars have gotten titled incorrectly in other states in a similar way. DSO shows your car was originally destined for Phoenix. I am not sure how Arizona titles their cars which could lead to a similar mixup.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There was a time in the 70's in California where a 65 Mustang was exempt from smog inspections and a 66 was not. Back In the day you would have taken that error on the paperwork and smiled every day of the week.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
There was a time in the 70's in California where a 65 Mustang was exempt from smog inspections and a 66 was not. Back In the day you would have taken that error on the paperwork and smiled every day of the week.
Funny you mentioned that. I moved back to California in '88 and went through that issue. I was able to go through an appeals process and was fortunate to get the car exempt. As I recall a friend "knew a guy" that did the inspection for the exemption. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Lots of mistakes made in lives of Mustangs and titles. Really no mustang should be titled as a 64 as there was never such a thing as that (or 64.5 mustang). I have a 5 code mustang. Should have been an S code but somewhere in its life, someone screwed up. This seems to happen with the S codes. Ill fix it one day......

·
Registered
35,493 Posts
When I first registered my 66, the DMV clerk asked me what body style. I said "fastback". Later, I noticed the paperwork described the car as "fast". I was good with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I first registered my 66, the DMV clerk asked me what body style. I said "fastback". Later, I noticed the paperwork described the car as "fast". I was good with that.
We
Mine shows cp for coupe which is correct. Also I noticed the title number and previous title both start with 04. So this could be the theory of year sold, not year of car. I know a guy who knows a guy that can do inspection and have car retitled as a 65. The car is in great shape. I believe it has been a South western car it whole life. It's about 95% rust free. Thank you guys for the discussion. But since registration shows 64 and insurance card shows 65 the cop that asks for license, registration, and proof of insurance might notice the difference. And I would have to go to court and explain all this misunderstanding.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Imagine 50+ years of basically minimum wage people typing hundreds of titles a day, day after day, week after week, mindless, soulless, existence.

They hate their life and do not really care.

Zero becomes Letter O, S becomes 5, extra numbers appear, numbers drop off, Letters morph and 99.99999999999999999999999999 % of the time, an error is unnoticed or no one cares.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As a point of reference, new Mustangs sold in California in 1965 came from the factory with a PCV valve. Starting in '66 they came from the factory with the PCV and the Thermactor air pump. By the mid 1970's the NoX retrofit program attempted to have most all '66-'70 year model cars fitted with one of the "approved" NoX devices. That program was rescinded part way through the implementation so some cars got the NoX devices and some didn't. Fast forward to today and smog inspections for registration and transfer of ownership purposes no longer apply to pre-1976 year model cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts