Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to buying classic cars and have some concerns about making sure I have a clear title when purchasing a classic mustang. I have located a '66 mustang but all the guy has is the last current Mass registration . Should I buy the car without a title? How do I know if it is a clear title? How could I obtain a replacement title? Should I even worry about this stuff? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some states don't require a title if the car was made by given year. In Georgia you don't need a title for a car that was made before 1970. I don't know where you live but you can look the specifics up via internet under your states DMV. You can also call them to find out and have them run a search on the VIN. I would do all of this before purchasing. If you have to have a title and you don't have one you can go to Alabma Title??? and they can get you one. This cost is about $250, I would ask the seller to help with paying for this. Good luck and if I am not correct with the company being Alabma Title someone will correct me.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Check with the motor vehicle department in your state for the status of the VIN number. Double check that the VIN number on the title, registration, bill of sale, whatever, meet the following:

1) All numbers match
2) Match the number stamped on the left front inner fener near the shock.
3) The number stamped near the shock has not been changed (look underneath in the wheel well.
4) Bonus: Numbers match the plate in the left door. Not required, but nice. The door numbers are really meaningless as doors or door plates can be easily moved, but nice to have.

Seller puts in writing that this is the correct and only number for the car, and what happens if it later is shown not to be correct (IE the car turns up hot, or that HIPO convertible is really a rebodied 6 cyl coupe.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the web site for Alabama Title? I tried searching for it in google and can't find. I think I would really like to have a title in case someone buys the car from me later on and lives in a state that requires one. I live in Connecticut and they don't issue replacement titles for anything older than 1981.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your out of luck then. Alabama Title will not make one for you if you live in a state that doesn't require one. You will just have to have the seller write you a bill of sale. Then if you decide to sell the car to someone who has to have one they will have to find the title company. If you do decide down the road to sell it, to someone who needs one, be nice and help pay for it. My suggestion would be to have the DMV run the VIN on the car to make sure everything is one the up and up. Make sure the VIN number come under the hood and matches just as the other poster had stated.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Don`t know where you`re from, but I DO know that in Ma. if you have a previous registration and bill of sale with the same names on them you`re golden ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts