Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out today that the TKO transmission does not mate up
to a T5 bellhousing. I don't remember seeing any posts here that
mentioned that fact. I suppose most folks here who did a tranny
upgrade either kept the mechanical linkage and stock bell (the
TKO does bolt up to the stock bellhousing), or else upgraded to
a T5 and used the T5 bellhousing. Since I'm going to a cable
clutch and can't use the stock bell, I guess I've got a nicely cleaned
'83 aluminum T5 bell available.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

The Tremec has the same pattern as a toploader 4sp.
It is almost 1 inch longer on the input shaft than a toploader...about the same as a T-5.
If you bolt it up to a std (toploader or 3 speed) bellhousing, you would need to order a Tremec with the short input shaft -- an option worth around $125.
By keeping the stock bellhousing and not having to shorten the driveshaft you can easily make this money well spent.
Spend it on the crossmember!
(the cable is a much better idea.)
BossBill

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you're going to the cable clutch system, then you want to find a bellhousing from a 79-82 Mustang GT V8 with the SROD 4-speed. That's the one used for Tremec swaps in Fox Mustangs and the 95 Cobra R. I have a couple of these. I sell them for $50. Let me know if you don't find a better deal on one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Lakewood makes a scattersheild that will accept the tko and a cable clutch. They are pretty pricey but if you explode a flywheel you would probably be happy with the money spent.

G

·
I don't think they make the shorter shaft for a TKO, the shorter shaft kit is for a 3350 with the big 10 spline instead of TKO's many splines.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer. I wish I'd checked the Forum this morning before
I left the house! I just bought a new bell and cover plate this
morning at Forte's. Another point of information - the stock
cover plate (the one between the block and the flywheel)
does not provide clearance for the cable mounting boss.
It covers about 50% of the hole and would have to be cut
to provide clearance. I ended up buying a new one that
has the correct fit.

Thanks for the input folks. Next time I'll check for responses
before I lay down the cash.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Ahhh, forgot about that weirdo trannie -- good idea and the price is right! You guys are good.

I bought a scattershield cause it was a good deal. Now I will have to get an adapter cause I changed my mind...I was going to use a short nosed 3550 -- a straight-up fit to the bellshousing. However, a test fit in the 65 proved that the tunnel is too small for a sanitary (read that no hacking and no 6 degree tilt, please) install.
So now I'm back to a T-5Z which would only fit the scattershield with an adapter. My good deal isn't so good anymore.
Plus, the PO decided that there was some interference where the manual linkage ran and hacked the s-shield up making a cable impossible.

I may run either the pusher hydraulic (mounted on trannie) or a bellhousing-internal Howe hydraulic (Summit PN HRE-82870 for stock clutch).
Looking for people who have used the Howe setup...sounds neat!

BossBill

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Yep, you're right.
I had 3550 on the brain when I mentioned the short shaft option.
Maybe they don't offer it because the 26T Tremec seems so Chevvy oriented -- it's their input spline count.
Anyway, thanks for the correction.

BossBill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts