Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Ive been trying to solve an issue with my TKO that has been there since brand new. It makes a gear clunking noise on tip-in and tip-out of the throttle, and also clunks quite badly sometimes when coming towards a stop in gear.

I have run it up on wheel stands and it exhibits the same clunking noises very easily just rolling in gear.

In order to try and make it go away I have done the following:
- Indexed the bellhousing
- Checked the diff backlash
- Changed diff center
- Different oil
- Lengthened driveline
- Got the driveline angle perfect at 2.5 degrees (and accompanying gaping hole in floor)
- Had the transmission pulled down by a tremec distributor (dont think it was done very well though). Everything was "normal" including the large amounts of metal that were coming from 1st, 2nd and 3rd oil changes. This did fix the 3rd gear grind I was having. The tremec distributor was blaming the noise on the angle & tailshaft length. This proved not to be the cause after fixing both to their specs.
- Changed the pilot bearing to a sealed roller type made in japan instead of the needle type made in china. This reduced the idle noise a little.
- Changed to an insulated hub organic clutch. This took a tiny bit of edge off the noises

After all this I still have a clunking gearbox that sometimes makes my car sound like it will rattle to pieces right when youre in traffic which leaves me a not happy camper.

I'm pretty sure its a problem in the box but wanted to see if any of you guys have experienced similar noises.

Here are some youtube vids, the exhaust overwhelms the poor little camera a bit so it might be a bit hard to hear:

Before Fixes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHgAWKK3ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9w_dXOhOSs

After Fixes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1g_fIYk2E

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a tko600 with... I don't know, probably about 8k miles on it, I DD. This car. I haven't had any of the symptoms that you are describing.

Come to think of it, I should probably check and see what my driveline angle is, since i have no idea.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd contact Tremec tech line directly. I spoke with them at length earlier this year about some high-RPM shifting difficulties I have, and they sent me a input-shimming kit for free even though the trans was well out of warranty. Search under my name and posts started by this user, not replies by user, and you'll see some links to other threads on problematic TKOs.

Manual trannys can sound like a box of rocks when you put your head right up near them, but I wouldn't put up with the noise you have. Good luck

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Is the trans touching the floor?
That noise will drive you insane!

Are you running it on jacks in gear?
If so the choppyness of the idle will slam back and forth from the rear end forward,why are you doing this?

In nuetral at idle how does it sound?
Do you have an FE big block?Did you shorten the pilot shaft?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No its not touching the floor, that was run with a big hole in the floor from getting the driveline angle to 2.5 degrees.

That ("After fixes") was a video of it on jacks in gear yes, and going from 1st to 2nd at one point.

I was revving the throttle every now and then to highlight the backlash clunking noises that I've been trying to erradicate.

Its just a 302w so the pilot shaft hasn't needed to be touched.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You will NEVER get it to not clunk,knock and bang running in gear on jackstands IMHO your killing that trans revving it and letting it slam back and forth unloaded in gear,not to mention the ring and pinion in the rear end.

First and second seem to have more "slack" because of the gear ratio's.3rd,4rth,and fifth should "feel" tighter.
Put it in forth (1-1 ratio) and the only "slack" will be the ring and pinion.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
In 4rth gear you should have almost NO slack at all.
When the slider moves into position on the input shaft it locks the input to the output.
If you have noticable movement (more than a feww thousants of an inch)between the input and output with the shifter in 4rth then you have a problem that will require the transmission to come apart. My Tremec is very used and I can just"feel" movement between the input and output in 4rth. all the other gears are loser.
Does the input have in and out movement,not up and down? It should not move more than .010".
The correct check is to stand the trans on end.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So to get it straight I should not be able to rotate the yoke in 4th very much at all? How much is not much? Less than 1/4 in rotation?

Not sure about the input in/out movement at the moment as it is in the car.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's in the car right?

In forth gear the ratio is 1:1,basicly the input is connected dirrectly to the output.
With the rear wheels off the ground a 1/4 inch of backlash would SEEM excessive to me,less than 1/8 would seem much more normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts