Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a set of the new TMI bucket seats (TMI Mustang Front Bucket Seat Sport II Pro Low Back Pony 65-66). I'm doing the complete interior on my 1966 Mustang Pony Convertible so I need the front and rear upholstery. I found out from CJ Pony Parts that you can't buy the upholstery for the rear seat separately. They said if I buy the sport seats that I should also buy a complete set of upholstery (front and rear seats) in order to get what I need. You can buy the front seats separately so I not sure why they don't sell the rear seat separately. At the very least, they should have a part number for the new sport seats that includes the rear upholstery since you are already paying for the front upholstery.

·
NOT Canadian (Really!)
2,456 Posts
Yup, it's kind of frustrating. I just ordered mine and ran in to the exact same problem. I ended up deciding to go with the sportII seats since mine are in good shape and they look so much like the originals. Plus they don't come with a big TMI logo on the side. Which I did not want on mine. They finally showed up today and hoping to get them installed this weekend.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe a reason why they don't sell the backseat separately is, the back seat doesn't get usually used as much as the fronts. and then don't get much wear and tear on them. one thing to make sure of is the hogring(s) is/are attaching to all 3 wires ( through upholstery, the foam, and the frame) this way it will be a tighter fight and the foam wont move much like my front passenger seat does a little.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a followup on this as I think it speaks volumes about the quality of the TMI customer support. Before posting this thread, I used the contact form on the TMI website to ask about this. It's been about 2 weeks and no response from them. In the time that this thread has been up, I would have assumed that TMI had seen it, but again no response. About a week ago, I called TMI and asked the question and was told that someone would have to get back to me. No surprise, never heard back from them. If you look at the threads in this forum, TMI seems to be very responsive when they are trying to sell you product, but no so much when it comes to support. I'll still probably buy their seats since mine are shot and I like the product features. I just hope I don't have any problems with them where I need customer support.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had a custom set of Sport XR seats made. During the install I called them about the listing rods as there were no instructions. The person on the phone was pretty helpful. I wrote TMI via a private message through here and got a quick response.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I'm interested in a set of the new TMI bucket seats (TMI Mustang Front Bucket Seat Sport II Pro Low Back Pony 65-66). I'm doing the complete interior on my 1966 Mustang Pony Convertible so I need the front and rear upholstery. I found out from CJ Pony Parts that you can't buy the upholstery for the rear seat separately. They said if I buy the sport seats that I should also buy a complete set of upholstery (front and rear seats) in order to get what I need. You can buy the front seats separately so I not sure why they don't sell the rear seat separately. At the very least, they should have a part number for the new sport seats that includes the rear upholstery since you are already paying for the front upholstery.

Hi Rick, I apologize for the late response.
Are you looking for Front and Rear Upholstery, or just front buckets?
If you are looking for the full-set, It would definitely make sense to purchase the complete full set Fronts and Rear.

Our dealer guides are set up as Full-Set, or Fronts Only. We ARE able to sell the rear upholstery alone, but if you buy the rear only without the fronts, the cost for it is 80% of what the "Full-Complete Set" cost.
(hope that made sense)

-AB

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From your response, I'm not sure if you understood my question.

I need to replace the complete interior in my 1966 convertible. I want to use your new TMI Front Bucket Seat Sport II Pro-Series Low Back Pony Black Pair 1965-1966 (see picture below). They come upholstered. The problem occurs when I try to buy the matching upholstery for the rear seat. According to CJ Pony parts, I need to buy a full set of upholstery (front and rear). Since the bucket seats are already upholstered, I would basically be throwing away the front seat upholstery from the full set. Seems like there should be an option for the buckets to include the rear seat upholstery. Your suggestion of 80% of the full set price for just the rears is better but still penalizes me for buying you full bucket seat product.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts