Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of TMI head rests on stock mustang bucket seats? Every picture I've ever seen of them is on seats that have been recovered with the TMI sport seat set. I like the sport seats, but my seats don't currently need to be re-covered, so I just want to add the head rests to my stock seats. I just want to make sure it will look ok.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I don't know about the TMI headrests and how they attach to the seat frame, but I do know that the seat back frames prior to 67 aren't going to have any structure where the headrest need to attach. You will need to disassemble the seat back to add structure or brackets of some sort. 68 seats were the first to get headrests and a bar for the headrests located in the seatback. I know there are retrofit kits for the earlier seats, like the rotella style headrests for the early cars. I also have an aftermarket headrest setup similar to the rotella, that I have never installed, Kind of like the custom conversion ones at NPD :

2016 65-73 Mustang Catalog

To add the headrest, you may need to weld or bolt something to the frame. IF welding, I would definitely remove all cushions, to prevent a fire.

If you want the conversion style like I linked, I have a set in black I will make a deal on...

UPDATE: I watched the TMI video on the headrest install. They are bolting to the top of the seat frame. Seems easy enough on the install for that kit, no welding needed. But like you, I wonder how they look together.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I've installed a set on a '67 with deluxe interior (project car several years ago). They look "factory" to the casual observer and to my eye they look and work great. A little complicated insofar as I did not want to cut up the stainless trim that runs around the seat back. Additional foam under the upholstery at the top of the seat back allowed the fiberglass shell to be mounted about 1/2" back from stock and no one can tell it's not stock.

Here is a link to an install article on stock '65-'66 seats that includes the finished installation:

How to Install the TMI Products Headrest Kit Photo & Image Gallery

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much. Slide 20 of 23 shows the TMI head rests on stock bucket seats. Exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
35,275 Posts
Thanks very much. Slide 20 of 23 shows the TMI head rests on stock bucket seats. Exactly what I was looking for!
I've seen these headrests installed on every year Mustang 65-68, and frankly they look better than the rare optional Ford headrests.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts