Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost if you are looking at buying these, don't. The fit is really bad and not worth the headache in the long run! LOL! I'm so deep into them I am not giving up at this point. For those of you that have installed them did you have issues with the window cranks and door latch handles being too far behind the panel the point where you could not attach them? If I attach the window cranks they scratch the panels when rolling up and down the windows. For the door latch it does not return on it's own. You have to push them down. Looking for any tips on how to address this issue. I did purchase some custom made spacers from a guy on Ebay that I hope will work but were not cheap! Any other suggestions on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,242 Posts
I had quality issues with my 70 mach 1 TMI door panels. I ithnk they were early production units. It did get worked out thru CJ pony and the replacements fit well with no quality issues. Have you contacted TMI?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had quality issues with my 70 mach 1 TMI door panels. I ithnk they were early production units. It did get worked out thru CJ pony and the replacements fit well with no quality issues. Have you contacted TMI?
Oh yes, several times. Very hard to work with their Customer Service. I sent the panels back once because I could not even close doors due to the poor quality. They sent me these panels as a replacement. The fit was better to the point I could close the doors but now I have this handle issue.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That sucks.
I was considering them for my 68
I probably won’t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,242 Posts
Now I remember the frustration with TMI. I think they sent me 3 or 4 sets of door panels before the quality was good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I remember the frustration with TMI. I think they sent me 3 or 4 sets of door panels before the quality was good.
I'm on set number 2 right now. I realized this morning after messing with them for a while that one door panel has more padding than another. I found some RV Window Crank spacers on eBay I am going to try. Might solve the issue I have with the handles. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also had some fitment issues with the TMI panels in my 67 cope as well. The same issue with the door handle.
I'm interested in the spacer you mentioned, does it extend the latch arm on the door out further so you don't have to push the handle in so tight into the panel to get the screw on it?

I'm also dealing with the bottom of the panel wraps around the bottom of the door and is hitting the new SS sill plate. I can't raise the door without messing up the door to fender lines. One thought I have is to remove the SS sill plate and put the aluminum on as it might be thinner and more likely to conform to the door panel.

Another issue I have is when I close the passenger side door, the back edge of the panel where the seams meet pops out a bit and catches on the windlass. Then you can't open the door. I've tried some double sided tape but it doesn't hold it tight enough and I really don't want to put a screw in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts