Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 fastback 351c
8 Posts
Yeah I'm also looking for alternatives now, I don't appreciate the random and large price jumps.

Mustangs to Fear perhaps?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Supply and demand. Covid greatly reduced production. Demand did not change as much.

Also, the value of the dollar is down about 8% over the last year. I am no economist, but printing a crap ton more of it tends to do that. Great for those exporting, not so good for importing.

Just be glad you are not building a large warehouse building. Steel joists and deck are up 80% since last September and if you order today you will not get them until December. 80% translates to about $5/sf on the cost of a building.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
419 Posts
Maybe that ship stuck in the Suez Canal was loaded with upholstery foam!

As of 4/7/2021;
Connecticut Gas Prices

Regular
$2.66
Midgrade
$3.10 *
Premium
$3.30 *
Diesel
$3.00 *

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
419 Posts
So does anyone except TMI make seat upholstery any longer? Looking online tonight to see what's available for the 1990 GT seats I plan to use and all I'm finding is TMI.
Distinctive Industries, and when I called back in November a person actually took the time to speak about what was going on with supply / demand.

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
Prices at both TMI and Distinctive have gone up recently.

One poster hit a valid reason, the weakness of the U.S. dollar vs. foreign currencies. That, combined with sharply-increasing raw materials prices overseas (and currently a spike in prices in the U.S. due to chemical plants that are on the Gulf coast being offline due to hurricane damage, affecting the plastics industry), is all contributing to what you are seeing. Also, TMI made a big re-vamp to the way they are billing costs/labor for many of their upholstery kits, as they were losing money on a ton of them.

This isn't a bunch of businesses getting greedy and raising prices to line their pockets. This is a bunch of businesses doing what they need to do to stay afloat.

Prices are also going to raise on all Scott Drake products, across the board, very soon.

The next four years are going to be one helluva ride folks, no matter what your economic doctrine may be.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
You guys think that's expensive? Has anyone had to buy lumber in the past 6 months? 2-3X higher than it was at the same time last year. 2x4's used to be +/-$3. $7 each now. I just bought 2 - 2x6x16 and 1 2x6x10 to frame the inside of one of my shop doors and it was $110 for three treated boards.

Edit: That was a couple weeks ago. It looks like the cost of some lumber is coming back down! The 16 footers are back down to $24 each and the 10 footer down to $16.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Prices at both TMI and Distinctive have gone up recently.

One poster hit a valid reason, the weakness of the U.S. dollar vs. foreign currencies. That, combined with sharply-increasing raw materials prices overseas (and currently a spike in prices in the U.S. due to chemical plants that are on the Gulf coast being offline due to hurricane damage, affecting the plastics industry), is all contributing to what you are seeing. Also, TMI made a big re-vamp to the way they are billing costs/labor for many of their upholstery kits, as they were losing money on a ton of them.

This isn't a bunch of businesses getting greedy and raising prices to line their pockets. This is a bunch of businesses doing what they need to do to stay afloat.

Prices are also going to raise on all Scott Drake products, across the board, very soon.

The next four years are going to be one helluva ride folks, no matter what your economic doctrine may be.
Appreciate you taking the time to outline this, Rick. While everything is a guess (some just more educated than others), I have been reading some stuff lately saying the dollar is expected to rebound in 2021 as the economy, hopefully, strengthens and monetary policy maybe tightens a bit.

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
Appreciate you taking the time to outline this, Rick. While everything is a guess (some just more educated than others), I have been reading some stuff lately saying the dollar is expected to rebound in 2021 as the economy, hopefully, strengthens and monetary policy maybe tightens a bit.
Yes, let's hope... I wasn't trying to start any political debate, just the fact that there's stormy waters ahead, and new people piloting the boat. Yet I don't know whether to be reassured or frightened as hell at how all these economies are manipulated and leveled.. LOL.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
739 Posts
I will say I liked America first with the previous pilot lol

Chris

Reactions: Stanginmatt

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,642 Posts
The company my wife works for us in San Jose. Reported numbers there a few weeks ago were $5.29/gal. Also reported higher numbers in Southern Cal.
Patrick:

While I'm sure there are some gas stations here in San Jose that do their best to price gouge for any reason and sometimes for no reason at all, and notwithstanding random gouging, the fact remains that unless you are buying race fuel, even top tier 76 Union 91 octane is $3.99/gallon (cash price) as recently as last night. Credit runs $4.09/gallon. Gas prices have climbed from $3.59/gallon over the past several weeks. If your wife's company is paying $5.29/gallon, they might want to look for a different fuel company or change their expense account reimbursement requirements!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Despite the various theories, here are the facts. Recent shortages and price spikes for foam and vinyl have not been underpinned by vendor practices or oil prices or hurricanes or gas prices or inflation in construction materials. This chart reflects actual raw commodity prices for polypropylene and pvc resin about a month ago, due to the winter storm. It’s ugly and it’s global.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,833 Posts
Seeing some of that also. We got notice from one of our offshore plastics vendors regarding raw material prices going through the roof. 🤬

·
Registered
193 Posts
Was told by NPD that TMI is 16-20 weeks behind right now if you order. Maybe the price hike was to discourage additional backorders which ultimately would put them more behind.
Their rationale could be that their prices were too low if they are getting that many orders, but the massive increase could tilt the balance the other way and harm them long-term if orders drop off past a certain point. This spike in demand from low interest rates and covid boredom is by no means permanent, and should not be treated as such. If Rick's information that they were losing money on some kits is true, then indeed they should have raised prices. Covid has really strained supply chains, which will also add costs. I'm not sure about a 50%+ price increase to cover this, though; if it took TMI that long to realize they lost money on some kits and needed a price increase of several hundred dollars, I have to question just what the heck their accountants and management are doing. The optics are terrible.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So were consumer prices down when we had sub $2/gal regular... Bread, meat and eggs at all time lows, right.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts