Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys fairly new here. Have a 69 coupe that I have gone more of a restomod route with... anyways I was looking into the tmi sport 2 seats covers and/ or entire seats (depending on how good of a mood my wife is in).. and am wondering if anyone has had fitment issues with center consoles? I would be getting the "standard" style sport 2 seats but I do have a tmi hump hugger center console. I did already convert my seatbelts to the new standard 3 point style retractor belts. With the original seats the fit is already pretty tight and I'm curious if anyone has used the sport 2s with the humphugger and has had fitment issues. I'm hoping to do a couple legs of the 2017 power tour and the stock seats are good for about an hour until I feel like I'm sitting on cinder blocks. Thank you guys in advance for the advice and info

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I don't have a console however I have the 69 TMI sport seats. I love them but prepared to be raised up some... it will effect your clearance between the steering wheel and the headliner. I think I have some pictures posted in my profile. Let me know if you have questions.

david

·
Registered
5 Posts
TMI Sport XR Seats

I have the Sport XR seats and while they look amazing, they are simply too high. If you are over 5'5", you will sit too high, way too high. I am now having to lower my seat pans (~$1000) just to be able to drive the car now. It's really disappointing.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have The Mach I Sport seats (the first version) while they do sit higher and wider there good for me @ 5'8" and have a couple of inches to the head liner. I could see if your taller having a problem.

They are wider too the console lid will not stay up by itself it hits the bolster and they just barely touch the door panel when closed. The old foams were flat so I could imagine a increase in height. They really do look nice I have all white.

The one thing about these cars are the ergonomic's are nonexistent. You just can't get in like a newer car, the steering wheel is too low and you get jammed up against the seat back. I have found by sitting in the seat with both legs outside then swinging in works better. On my old covers I wore the seat back bolster closest to the door after 27 years! It developed a crack in the vinyl.

To get out I have to use my palm on the door sill to pivot out.

Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'll plug them as well! Fantastic seat and SUPER comfortable. The odd thing is...I never had any clearance issues with loss of headroom when I put these in. At 5'-11" 175 I fit just fine with no complaints.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The height issues would be greatly diminished if the seats reclined. My biggest complaint about my 69 is the non-reclining seats.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Very interesting- I literally just put an order in for the entire Sport XR interior; seats, cushions, door panel covers, headliner, console, and dash pad..... I have it on hold to add a few other things- might have to rethink it quick. Thanks for answering my question before I even thought to ask it!! lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the sport seats in my 67 coupe. If I put the seat all the way back and slouch a bit, they are ok, but I cant wear a baseball hat in the car or the hat hits the headliner. Very comfortable though, just a bit too tall.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info and pictures! I don't think height clearance would be an issue since I'm 5'9". Definitly have had alot of mixed reviews in person and on here. Some people seem to have the same cars with differences in height of the seat.I'm not sure if its differences in foam or the installer or what. There were two 67s side by side with the same sport 2s that had an inch and a half of difference?! wierd. But I definitly like the idea of being able to recline a bit if I buy the entire seat as opposed to just the covers. Also for once it seems my short stature may be a good thing and work in my favor since the taller guys seem to be the ones having the most issues. But thanks again!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just last year I completed my interior restoration which included TMI's whole line of Sport R products including seats, headrests, centre console, headliner etc. I have the centre console without the AC provision and it was a tight fit under the dash and between the front seats with the much larger seat bolsters. The seats have that vinyl on vinyl rubbing sound when I sit down sometimes but usually I dont notice anything. The seats themselves are significantly more comfortable than stock and they hold you in the seat better when you take corners at high speeds or are doing any road race courses. The centre console kinda wanted to float above the carpet; possibly since I have very thick carpeting and dynamat which made the fit so tight under the dash. So to fix this issue I used a small bracket screwed to the rear part of the console to the top of the transmission/driveline tunnel. I uploaded a couple of photos but I have a bad habit of not taking enough photos of my completed work so this is all I had.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very interesting- I literally just put an order in for the entire Sport XR interior; seats, cushions, door panel covers, headliner, console, and dash pad..... I have it on hold to add a few other things- might have to rethink it quick. Thanks for answering my question before I even thought to ask it!! lol

I have the Sport XR's ith the center consul. I really like it all. I have been on two Hot Power Tours with them. If you get the one piece headliner it gives a lot of room. I will be lowering my seat pan soon. I am 6'1" and my head just does touch. It depends how you adjust your seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
I installed the Sport 2 covers and new foam in my 70 Mach. They are very comfortable and I love them, but you will sit higher. I had to install seat extenders because I did not want to lower the pans. This will move the seat back about 2 inches. That helped a lot. I also installed a smaller wheel and that helped too. I have the standard console and I've had no problems but the seat is very close to the door panel now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts