Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some guiding words from the all knowing: I'm doing an EFI swap into a '67 vert with a C4 (have a 5.0 from an '89). What are the positives and negatives of going with AOD? Im' getting my engine plan together. Besides AOD, anyone have any other suggestions I should consider while I have the engine out? This vert is going to be my daily driver, and I'd love some power and performance under the hood. Thanks for the advice.

·
7,024 Posts
Yes. You will love a transmission with overdrive.

You should consider all your options with regard to transmissions and decide which one best fits your needs. For automatics you can go with the venerable AOD or an AOD-E/4R70W.

I'm the only one on this forum that decided the 4R70W was the say to go, and there's a lot of smart people that hang around VMF...so take what I'm saying with a pound of salt...but I think you should at least consider the 4R70W.

Read about it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~1_65pony/od.htm

Good luck!

Phil

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Hey I have an AODE.....I just paid through the nose to get it set up for 700 HP and to not need any electronic controls ;)
But I get the benefits of the AODE gearset ;)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think an AOD is an excellent swap. The question is, what is in the rear end? The AOD allows you to run a nice low gear (higer number) for great off line acceleration and around town performance, and then good low cruising RPMs on the highway. If it is a high gear (3.00 or less) you may not like the combo as much.

While the engine is out, you might as well put on the front discs and do the Shelby suspension drop and related upgrades.

Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
i sent you a PM

·
Registered
981 Posts
the aod is great if you want to run lower gears or just don't want to listen to the motor scream going down the highway.
the only negative I have found is the loss of lowend power.you should definitly use the aode lower gear set. ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts