Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just about got my engine broken down and ready to go to the machine shop and I am still undecided as to whether or not I should balance the rotating assembly.

The motor will never see anything above 6000 rpms and 99% of the time wont even get close to that. Is it cheap insurance to just balance the motor to improve longevity or is it a waste of money on a street motor?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Not enough information but my instinct is you'll be happier if you have it balanced. If balancing is less than 10% of the rebuild cost, do it, IMO. IME, it's usually 2-3% of the construction cost, so I can't recall ever not having an assembly balanced.

Pat

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They only want $225 to balance it, which I thought was cheap.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much hp would I gain if I balance it?

·
Registered
639 Posts
It depends on the RPM, and how far out of balance the engine is now. The higher the RPM to more HP you will gain.

Typical street use prob not much, but the engine will run smoother and last longer.

Any engine I do is always balanced +- .5 gm and blueprinted to +-.0001... because I can. CNC's are great machines.

You can do all the rod and piston weight matching yourself, and just have someone turn the assembly on the balancing machine to do the crank, balancer and flex/flywheel.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
6t9mach1 said:
How much hp would I gain if I balance it?
If you consider reliability power, a lot. Being able to run the engine up to 7K+ without disturbing a glass of water placed on the air cleaner...priceless :D

Balancing will save your dentures if you have the engine mounted directly to the chassis, as I do in the race car. Every little vibration is magnified by the chassis.

225 is cheap.

Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts