Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Fog Light Bezel is correct for a 1968 Mustang with Fog Lights? The bezel with the bar or the bezel without the bar? I can't seem to get a definite answer. If it makes any difference, my car was built in Metuchen, March 29, 1968.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
In 68 when fog lights were added, they cut out a section from each side of the grill. They then rivited brackets onto the grill and the fog lights were bolted to the brackets. The grill was painted slightly differently as well.

The 68 fog lights look the same as the 65-67 Fog lights, but there are subtle differences. Since they are mount upside down from the earlier lights, the drain hole is on the opposite side. Additionally the hole for the wiring is is a different location.

It’s pretty easy to modify the grill and add the brackets. I did mine last year.

Here is a pic of the modified grill and mounting bar.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
In 68 when fog lights were added, they cut out a section from each side of the grille.
I think the OP is asking specifically about the bar across the bezel only. They are available without the bars too. The cover photo of one restoration manual I have is a pic of an original '68 GT and doesn't have the bars. I believe the '67 and earlier factory GT's had them but the '68's didn't. Or if a '68 today has them they were dealer added or over-the-counter later and had the bars just because.
Anybody know better? We need a concours' dude for this one. :shrug:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
My 68 GT has the bars. Dad bought the car in 1971 and pretty sure they are original to the car.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Might be an assembly plant issue, as in which assembly plant was using what light assemblies at a given time? Some cars have the bars, some don't. Or a mid year "switch-over" from barred to no barred bezels? Just a guess, strange things happen at Ford. My April '67 build Dearborn car was delivered with '65-66 coat hook hangers, I still have them. So at least it's a possibility.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have always seen 68 with bars. There were quite a few Ford and aftermarket accessories including colored bulbs. It’s posisbe the bezels without bars were added after purchase.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! and yes, 4ocious, I am referring to the bar and 'bullet' incorporated into the chrome bezel as you so conveniently added the photo. I was going by NPD catalogue and Drake repro parts which seem to state the bar and bullet bezel is for 67 and earlier cars and the plain bezel is for 68 cars, but then the bar and bullet package shows up with 65 to 68 on the label. going by google images, there seems to be no black or white on the subject, is indeed, a concours' guy's comment would be appreciated. since my car is far from concours and I simply like the look of the bar and bullet, that's what I'm going with. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Well, looking into this further (because I have nothing better to do right now and that's the sort of weirdo I am) I'm beginning to think most or possibly all factory '68's had the bars starting out. For 1968 did Ford start featuring GT and FOG inscribed sealed beam lights by General Electric? But then you couldn't "show off" that cool logo in the lens center with the danged bar in the way so it became popular to remove them? And now all these years later you can buy them without the bars to begin with under Scott Drake's name?
This is pure conjecture on my part. I wonder if an MCA Judge would consider them a deduct in points? :shrug:
(I need to find another hobby, maybe start playing Chess again.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I thought this was going to be the dilemma I face every day on the way home from work; to bar or not to bar...

Its one of the downsides of EPAS, sometimes I don't seem to have any choice, the electric power steering assist in my car just veers of the road for no reason by the time I get it stopped, its always in a parking space at the local bar. SO I figure the system needs to cool down a while before its safe to drive the car again...

Safety is paramount! Please do not feel the need to point out the irony in this thought process...

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Dobro,

That’s a safety feature built into the EPAS electronics. It ensures the system can cool down and proper lubrication has been applied (to you).

·
Registered
641 Posts
1965, 66, and 67 fog lamps have bars. 1968 does not. I've seen hundreds, and for 1968 all I can say is "bar none"

But first we must define bars. When it comes to fog lamps, it was clear (to me anyway lol) what was being discussed, but we need to be sure. I think we are talking about the horizontal bars that connect the horse corral to the fog lamp housing.

Please look at the attached pictures. There is one 67 in there with the bar highlighted. The remainder are 68's, all with no bars. Each assembly plant, coupe and fastback, J and S codes are represented.

Or are we talking about the vertical bars that are part of the bulb lens itself? If that is the case, then yes there are bars on all originals.

Hopefully this won't turn into a bar fight.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH boy what have I started? it appears all the unrestored 8R, 8F and 8T's in the above photos by 67gta289 have the BARS ON THE BEZEL - Again, I'm not talking about the '67 or earlier 'corrals', just the trim ring that holds the fog light bulb in the housing - and not the 'bars (ribs) on the fog light glass. I've seen lots of plain round bezels in 68's as well, as pointed out by 4oucious in the photos there. like I said earlier - I like the bar and bullet look for my car so I'm going with them - I'll post a pic when it gets sunny outside - but then if that happens - I'll probably find myself at a bar on the patio! - after a pint of liquid encouragement, I may even post a question as to when, why and ?where AMBER fog lights were introduced.... and thanks again to 4ocious - my next post will have pics clearly stating what I'm trying to find out....Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
33,972 Posts
OH boy what have I started? it appears all the unrestored 8R, 8F and 8T's in the above photos by 67gta289 have the BARS ON THE BEZEL - Again, I'm not talking about the '67 or earlier 'corrals', just the trim ring that holds the fog light bulb in the housing - and not the 'bars (ribs) on the fog light glass. I've seen lots of plain round bezels in 68's as well, as pointed out by 4oucious in the photos there. like I said earlier - I like the bar and bullet look for my car so I'm going with them - I'll post a pic when it gets sunny outside - but then if that happens - I'll probably find myself at a bar on the patio! - after a pint of liquid encouragement, I may even post a question as to when, why and ?where AMBER fog lights were introduced.... and thanks again to 4ocious - my next post will have pics clearly stating what I'm trying to find out....Thanks everyone!
Ford never produced a 'bar-less' foglamp bezel. Ford never installed amber fog lamps.

GE could, did, and does make amber lamps. The bars were thin at the ends, and occasionally broke. More often, people broke them out to make their Mustang look 'different'. They are now sold that way, but it is strictly a 'restomod' item.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I thought this was going to be the dilemma I face every day on the way home from work; to bar or not to bar...

Its one of the downsides of EPAS, sometimes I don't seem to have any choice, the electric power steering assist in my car just veers of the road for no reason by the time I get it stopped, its always in a parking space at the local bar. SO I figure the system needs to cool down a while before its safe to drive the car again...

Safety is paramount! Please do not feel the need to point out the irony in this thought process...
With EPAS you might even be able to wire in lane assist to guide you safely back home from that bar. I'm not advocating someone use lane assist for that purpose, but Im sure its crossed the minds of a few.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts