Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ok I'm talking around and getting prices of $400 for engine comp + underside to $95/hr for the whole thing (estimated at about $700) for media/sand blasting.

My question is if there are any reasonable alternates? I mean, whats my best bet for cleaning up the rust in my engine compartment for instance? Is there some kind of spray solution / cleaner that would work for rust removal or is blasting my best bet?

Currently I'm hearing that plastiblasting the whole car and then spot sand blasting really bad areas is a good way to go, your thoughts?

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Chris - Is the $700 US or CDN?

The alternative is getting a rotisserie (or worse - doing it without) and chemical stripping, scraping, wire brushing, etc for a couple of weeks. A wire brush chucked up in a drill will remove your rust - especially if you follow up with chemical rust remover, but it won't be fun. $700 US sounds about right. I'd want to see some examples of work they've done recently and perhaps speak to a former customer before committing.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I used a high speed grinder with a twisted wire brush to strip my car. It was dirty work, but it was relatively cheap and I was the labor! Plus I did not have access to a blaster...
Once the surface paint and rust is gone, hit the panels with a rust remover like POR-15 or Eastwood sells and then prime with self-etching epoxy primer. You should be good to go....Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan .... may as well resign to gettin dirty :)!

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just had the complete car blasted and painted. It took him 2 hours to strip the car. I did my Falcon and it took me renting the compressor and 8 bags of sand. About $140 for everything. Took the day to get it and blast everything. I did that one on a rotisserie. Just make sure to blast at a low pressure and do not leave it in one spot. Can warp the metal.

Neil
http://communities.msn.com/Myhtrd/homepage
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595545&a=12154418&p=44311400.jpghttp://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595545&a=12154418&p=45167776.jpg

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
IMHO, blast and pay someone else to do it.
I started off blasting my own, bought a big blaster and spent many nights doing it.
Well the end result wasn't what i wanted, so for $500 Cdn, 10 yrs ago, this company did the whole underside, door jams engine compartment, trunk....what ever i fired at them.
Media balsting is what i would always recommend (especially if someone else gets dirty) as it gets into all the nooks where a grinding wheel can't and it gets into the bottom of all corrosion pits.
Just one mans opinion.

Shaune

the older i get.....the less tolerant i become

67 GTA 390 F/B underconstruction
79 F100 very rusty but mine
92 grand caravan...family wheels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts